Sleep Disorders Community
Trouble w/ sleeping - 13 year old son - ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

The first day my son started pre-school his teacher called me and asked "Did your son forget to take his medicine?" and I said "What medicine?".  Then she asked "Doesn't he have ADHD?" and I replied "I don't know...does he?"

Come to find out his teacher had a degree in this field and suggested that I speak with my son's doctor about it.  Just by the note she wrote for me to give my sons doctor he knew she must have had experience with this.  By the 5th doctors opinion she asked me "Do you want to medicate your son?" and I replied "No" and that's when she told me that if I don't medicate him they would end up having to medicate me!  While at each of the 5 doctors appointments my son would be crawling up me and down...under the chair...on the table.  Not yelling or being bad...he just couldn't sit still.  At each appointment I was asked "How do you deal with that" and I replied "I just thought it was normal behavior for a boy".  I also have a daughter who is now 20 years old and she was always quiet and content.  She could play by herself for hours...my son...just the opposite.  

So at 4 years old he started on medications for ADHD and for every school he has attended, every grade, the teacher would know within seconds if he forgot to take his medication so they would call me and I would run it up to the school.  It wasn't because he was a bad child...they just knew that he wouldn't learn anything that day if he forgot to take his meds.  He would be a disruption to the class because he wouldn't be able to sit still.

Ok...to my concern...my son has also had to take medications to help him sleep or else he would/could stay up for days in a row.  He reached the maximum dose of the medication (clonidine) typically given to children with ADHD years ago so now we have had to try others.  I am tired of my son being a ginny pig and want to be able to give him something that will help him fall asleep and stay asleep.

My question is…is there any medication that could be given to a 13 year old that adults take?

Thank you in advance to those who take the time to read this and try to provide me with answers!

Sincerely...A Worried Mom!

This discussion is related to sleep for 13 year olds.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sleep aids not advised for young children. Even Melatonin is not recommended. Melatonin though it is naturally occurring its long term effects when used for children have not been adequately documented. Hence best avoided in children. Avoid caffeine rich drinks before bedtime. Ensure to see he plays adequately during the day, as good exercise promotes good sleep. Always make the bedroom environment very cool, dark and cozy like a cave, cause bats are super snoozers and they sleep in caves.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.