Sleep Disorders Community
Trumpet sound before falling asleep?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Trumpet sound before falling asleep?

Hello people :)

For starters, I'd like to give some info about my situation;
I suffer from several disorders, like frequent sleep paralysis, constant lucid dreaming, some mild narcolepsy (as a doctor told me; I don't pass out but I am dragged into sleep with very vivid dreams several times a day/night), and my REM incurs too soon.

Many times, though, I've experienced a trumpet sound as I fall asleep?
I don't have problems with my ears, I've been tested thoroughly when I had an infection some years ago.

I keep my caffeine low, and also don't have insomnia, or diabetes, or anything else; I am healthy (and happy about it). I surely have my anxiety problems and stress, like all the people on the planet.

I am curious about the trumpet/horn that awakes me up just before I fall into sleep.

Thank you for your help :)
That is very interesting.
Does the sound prevent you from sleeping or is it just odd?
Do you think it's possible that your having anxiety over sleeping and that your subconscious doesn't really want to go to sleep?
Is it a trumpet with ringing at the end or is it clear and sharp?
Can you tell that it's in your head or did you think that it was really happening the first couple of times?
Good luck. I hope it gets better.
Hello Samantha :)

Actually it's odd because I know its in my head.
It doesn't occur every night, but it surely wakes me up when it does.
As for anxiety, I can't be 100% negative, because I do have some stress.

Oh well I hope I'll find out!

Take care :)
Oh as for the nature of the sound, is like a deep clear tuba, skreeking a note. Just that.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In the initial phases of the sleep cycle and while awakening, we tend to be more conscious or alert. If we study the brain waves at these phases they tend to show the alert wave pattern, this could cause the awareness. If it is not interfering with your sleep schedules you don't have to worry. If it persists or is troublesome consult your doctor for assessment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hello, yes I am doing fine, hope the same for you too :)

I wouldn't say it persists, it's more like I'd like to know why this happened and your responce did it :)

Thank you very much!
I have exactly the same thing. Just as I'm falling asleep and shut my eyes I can hear a trumpet sound. Like someone blowing a note really loudly in my head, but only for a second. Which then makes me open my eyes.
Exactly that!!!!