Sleep Disorders Community
Tylenol pm vs Nyquil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Tylenol pm vs Nyquil

I have a very hard time staying asleep.  I have been taking Nyquil at night and it has worked great keeping me asleep.  I just don't think it is very good for me.  Is Tyenol pm better to take? Is it bad to take that on a regular basis too?
My concern would be taking any sleep med without knowing why your sleep is problematic. For instance, if you would happen to have sleep apnea, sleep medications can not only camouflage it, but also worsen it.

You've got the entire rest of your life to need good sleep. Becoming dependent on any med that warns to use only short term is a recipe for trouble. Besides dependence, many meds become less effective over time.  

I really couldn't recommend either - not without you having been evaulated for a cause. That said, I take TylenolPM.
Good Afternoon,

Like Kat said, it is best to see your doctor for an evaluation.  I am only familiar with the Miltary when it comes to most issues, and for sleep you must consult with a psych dr. to preach the whole 'sleep hygeine' theory before they will give you any meds.  I am also 24 yr old male, and have had problems with my sleep among other issues.  If you are looking for an OTC solution, I would recommend treatment with a medication that does not contain acetaminophen, as NyQuil and Tylenol PM do.  This will just cause unnecessary damage to your liver.   Tylenol does make a sleep aid that does not actually contain acetaminophen, only diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which is what's making you sleepy when you take these meds.  You can also find generic versions of Benadryl sleep aids at most drug stores.  However, as the med labels will tell you, if you are still having trouble sleeping after taking these meds for 7-10 days, then you really need to see your Dr. as you may have a serious problem such as Sleep Apnea.  You should not try to treat insomnia without your Dr.'s supervision.

Personally I have been able to work my way through a list of meds to find one that works for me; Trazodone, Rozerem, Lunesta, Ambien, and finally Ambien CR which I consider a miracle drug.

Hope this helps and hope you decide to see your doc.  Good Luck!