Sleep Disorders Community
Uneven breathing during lseep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Uneven breathing during lseep

I’m writing on behalf of my husband (and for myself since it can prevent me from getting a full night’s sleep). I haven’t found any information anywhere on this and I’m hoping someone here can help.

While he sleeps, my husband inhales normally and then exhales rapidly and loudly. This occurs throughout the night from the moment he falls asleep until he wakes up and doesn’t change if he’s sleeping on his back or side. He does not do this during waking hours. He only very rarely snores when on his back and never when on his side.

If I wake up in the middle of the night or early in the morning the noise from his exhale often prevents me from falling back asleep. I haven’t found any information on this specific issue and don’t know what could be causing this or what we can do to reduce his breathing imbalance during sleep.

Thank you in advance for your input.  
Have you discussed with your husband?  Does he suffer from nasal congestion?  I have night time, usually only when lying down, congestion that causes me to suffer a very sore dry mouth from breathing through my mouth.  I don't believe I make any unusual noises, my wife has not complained other then when I snore - which is a rare event.

For starters you might try with your husband taking an antihistamine at bed time to see if anything changes.  If it does congestion may be the problem.  I don't get results from taking an antihistamine, but as I do have congestion I have used the 12 hour Afrin spray (should not be used every night) with very good results.  So that could be another test to try.
Thanks Jerry  - yes, I have spoken to him about it and he does get congested at night. He just started using just a nasal rehydration spray but I'm not sure if it's working. If it's an alergy (allergy) than maybe the antihistamine could work, we can try it.

I have heard about Afrin - I will look it up.

Thanks for your input!
That was supposed to be that I have NOT heard about Afrin - so thanks for bringing it to my attention.
I buy the Walmart 12 hour nose spray, it claims to be equivalent to Afrin at about 1/2 the cost.  It works, but it can not safely be used every night, I think it should not be used more than 3 or 4 nights in a row, and never more than twice a day, every 12 hours.

If that fixes the problem, even temporarily - then you know what to work on.  For me it is an ongoing problem, but I don't make a lot of noise, so my wife isn't disturbed.  Good thing, she has plenty of her own problems sleeping.