Sleep Disorders Community
Unexplained cure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Unexplained cure?

Hello, I've had insomnia for quite a few years (since 15). I never kept track of it so I can't confirm it was always ongoing, but the one thing constant is that it would take me a long time to fall asleep, and I would wake up feeling tired as if I never slept in the first place. 'Drag myself out of bed' is my norm then. My sleep would also be filled with dreams(usually nightmares) and I need at least 10 hours sleep to actually feel somewhat rested.

Mid last year, a friend suggested supplementation on protein, vitB, calcium and magnesium right before bed. I saw no harm in the suggestion and took it. Now here's the interesting part. After 2 weeks of religiously following, there was a difference. I woke up feeling refreshed, and energized. It only takes me around 5-10 minutes to drift off to sleep. I reduced the dosage a few months ago, gradually eliminating them. Currently I am not on any supplementation.

I'm absolutely amazed. Now when I go to bed, it's like I get knocked out (k.o) once my head touches the pillow, my body seems to have a shut down timer too: I automatically feel sleepy and weighty at 11 - 1 am. I usually ignore it and go to sleep at 1 instead, but if I had a long eventful day, I can even k.o. on the phone, in cafes, in the car. I'm elaborating too much here, but it's just too bizarre from 3 am sleepless nights to 11 pm knock out period anywhere.

Has anyone else ever followed or experienced this? Or what is your view on this? If you're wondering what other lifestyle changes I made, I didn't make any. I don't drink coffee, tea or alcohol, sleep cycle always constant.
Tags: Insomnia
Congratulations, it is always encouraging to read of success.  

My problem is dreaming, no real problem getting to sleep - sometimes difficult to get back to sleep after a troubling/depressing dream, not a nightmare. I have tried a few over-the-counter supplements, but it would be an exaggeration to say I "religiously" followed any plan or even the directions. In any case, I did not get any noticeable result.

I read that eating in the 3-4 hours before bedtime can cause sleep problems.  Did you make any changes in that regard, i.e., taking the supplements got you mind off having a snack before bedtime?

Enjoy your great experience with resting, sleeping.

This is embarrassing, I haven't got the hang of this site so I'm sorry if the "best answer" thing is weird.

For your last question, I actually always take snacks 5-10 minutes before bed. Mostly and nearly always 6-10 plain wheat cookies dipped in hot choc/milk. These are routine since childhood and I still have this habit now. (Replaced cookies with cereal though)

I'm not familiar with over-counter drugs as I was brought up conditioned to steer clear of them unless very sick. What do they contain? How do they work if I may ask?
No problem, the "best answer" is a compliment (even if it points to the only answer).  Thanks, I try to help.

Most supplements that are supplements to things that are part of our biology are safe if not over done.  Your strategy of using magnesium or other temporarily is a reasonable approach.  I think it is always best to have a doctor do a completer blood test before taking an high dose supplements.  I take a senior (old person) multivitamin every morning along with a fish oil supplement (I also give our dog a fish oil supplement).  Sleep help from melatonin is also "natural" our bodies produce the same stuff as part of our sleep cycle. Again, not too much and your method of trying and then reducing/eliminating is a good on.