Sleep Disorders Community
Wake up every 1 to 2 hours, by starved muscles.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I am awakened by distressed "starved" muscles, ie discomfort short of pain, If I eat a granola bar I will sleep 3 to 4 hours. If I walk around for several minutes I can go to sleep for 1 to 2 hours.  My doctors have made all the tests that could find a cause. I do have AFIB, on coumadin, and nerve damage from pheripheal neurpathy.
Tags: wake up
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Neuropathy can cause your symptoms. It is a disorder of the nerves which causes numbness, tingling, unusual sensations and sometimes pain. Diabetes Mellitus can cause neuropathy. Other causes like vitamin deficiencies, alcohol consumption and certain medications can cause neuropathy. So, check to rule out diabetes and vitamin deficiencies.

Another cause could be an entity called restless leg syndrome, where there is an odd sensation in the legs during sleep causing the individual to move, which relieves the sensation. These disorders can cause inadequate sleep leading to fatigue and daytime sleepiness. Other causes for leg cramps are injury, repetitive activity and dehydration. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks.  The doctor has given me Zolpidem for sleep, it does make the sleep session go to 5 hours, but it makes me wobble so badly, I cant play golf in the morning!
My latest,  a sharp pain in what I believe was the heart.  But you don't stop a heart atack with 4 gum drops. After the gum drops I was back to normal.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Agree with you, if the sharp pain was angina, it is not relieved by gum drops. Check to see if you are having episodes of hypoglycemia, this can cause restless sleep and a sense of weakness. The fact that you eat granola bar and sleep well, goes more in favor of this. If you are a diabetic, then aim for euglycemic state and check with your doctor to rule out hypoglycemia.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I did check with my heart doctor, and was assured it was not heart related, But May be related to the digestive tract.  
Have you (doctors) given any though to sleep apnea?  If you stop breathing or have trouble getting dioxide out and oxygen into the blood I'd think it could cause you to wake up and could cause restless legs, and I would think tired muscles.

A simple at home test, called a recording oximeter test is an easy way to find out if you have any low oxygen saturation levels and or unusual heart rate - it records both the Oxygen Saturation and HR - I don't know what the time base if but I'd guess every few seconds a record is made of the O2 and HR.  I had one and it showed that I may have either lung or apnea problems, or both.  I underwent a full sleep study two nights back and will have a consultation with the Pulmonary specialist next week.
My doctor has made all possible tests. considers it a combination of the coumadin blood thinners, neuropathy damage and old age..But I still play 4 rounds of golf each week..
I'm taking this problem to the heart Afib forum to check
the effect of Afib and warfarin  as a cause