Sleep Disorders Community
Wake up every hour - why??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Wake up every hour - why??

I'm having an issue with very light sleeping, i take two Zopiclone (7mg in total) each night which resolves insomnia/not being able to fall asleep but find that after only two or three hours i wake up again. Usually if i go to the bathroom/get up and then lay back down i can nod straight back off but then, lo, an hour later i'm awake again. This process repeats throughout the night so that by the time i 'wake' and have to get up i feel shattered.

I'm averaging 4-5 small /hour long sleep sessions each night between 12pm and 9am. I get around 7hours sleep but wake up feeling wrecked because none of it is continous sleep. At first i assumed it was just noise disturbance disrupting me, however after documenting the pattern i realised that my waking is automatic and has very little to do with my surroundings/outside noise. Also it should be noted that i am having REM sleep because i have very vivid dreams and sometimes nightmares - however once again these don't seem to be the reason i am waking up.

I have tried to reduce my caffeine intake in the afternoon/not drink it in the evening but this hasn't helped either.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions why i might wake so frequently?

Have you ever looked into Sleep Apnea being a cause. My situation is frighteningly like yours. Actually it is a relief to hear someone else talk about it because nobody ever seems to understand how f'ed up it is. Sometimes I can grab an actual 3 hours straight, but that is it. I got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, have an advanced version of the machine (a v-pap not a c-pap), and was told my case was especially difficult to treat. Hence the apnea is treated but the sleep is no better. BUT don't worry about my outcome, I know a bunch of people who have been treated for Apnea successfully.
If any of this doesn't make sense, write me... we'll talk

Thanks for the advice - i have looked into Apnea based on what you said however i don't think that my symptoms marry the disorder. You are right though, messed up/fragmented sleep is much worse than people give credit for. Sorry to read you have an untreatable form of Apnea, i think my problem is plain old Insomnia and according to my new research/the apnea info.... it could be because i use sleeping pills. (which may cause a form of apnea after prolonged use)
Thanks for the tip.
All the best.

(PS - if you do wish to PM to discuss this further then dont hesitate, although having read the symptoms and causes i'm almost 99% sure it isn't apnea that i suffer from - friendly ear here all the same if u wish to talk)
My symptoms are exactly the same.I don't have sleep apnea, I just don't sleep.Wake up every 1 to 2 hours.This goes on all night.I get 3 hour straight if I take ambien.Did you find out what your problem was.Need help.
Harley
I'm having the same problem.
No matter how tired I am and how easily I fall asleep, I just cannot make it through the night without waking up every hour or so. I all but stopped drinking caffeine about 3 weeks ago.
I've had this problem before. It happens when I stop smoking pot and cigs. (I'm pretty sure it's more related to the pot, but thought I should also mention the cigs.) When I'm on "smoke mode," I do not experience the vivid dreams that I've been having for the past couple of weeks, but I do sleep right through the night.
I've been taking melatonin for a couple of months, and am considering upping the dosage.
Please post any results or discoveries and I will do the same. If nothing else, know that you're not alone. I know the frustration you are feeling!
i thought i was alone its nuts waking up every hour never feeling rested. Im going to see a doctor.
This is another vote for sleep apnea. Until you find yourself getting the rest you need, you are going to become even more anxious about sleeping. I think that getting yourself checked for sleep apnea is one of the best ways (though it will oftentimes take a night in the hospital) but it would help you rule out issues altogether.