Sleep Disorders Community
Wake up extremely disorientated and nauseous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

This has only happened to me twice my whole life. Last night I woke up at about 2 AM after literally falling over in my dreams and my eyes rolling around in my sleep, I was partially aware of it and could remember it when I woke up. I opened my eyes and couldn't look at a specific place for about 2 or 3 seconds. my eyes were rolling around all over the place and I was completely disorientated. felt very nauseous but I guess it's from the disorientation. I felt very unbalanced while trying to walk to the bathroom.

I could barely walk in a straight line and felt very weak. I sat down in front of the toilet extremely nauseous and burst out in sweat. when I stood up to drink some water I saw my face in the mirror, it was completely discolored, even my lips were white. I threw up and felt a little bit better but still really disorientated. went back to sleep and woke up several times through the night feeling a little bit less disorientated every time I woke up. and this morning I felt fine but as I'm typing now I can still feel a tiny bit of that unbalanced feeling. almost as if I'm drunk.

I am 20 years old. I am on no medication at all. I have no medical conditions, no allergies. I am a fit and active guy. last night I only ate a plate of oven baked low fat fries with some tomato sauce on the side.

I am concerned that this might be something really serious. the worse thought that comes to mind is that it could be a tumor or something. I am planning to go to a doctor but if someone knows about this or has the same problem it could really save me money.
I don't have an answer, but from what you said I am not confident a doctor is going to be able to diagnose without a lot of tests, perhaps a sleep study.  There too, if you experience iw a one time thing, the sleep study will not likely show anything, I think/guess.  

There is a possibility that youi were oxygen starved, sleep apnea of some type, that should be caught in a sleep study, but not if you don't have the problem on a regular basis.  

I have trouble sleeping because of troubled dreams, and that's why I hang out around this community.   In my case a psychiatrist may be what I need as I don't have any evidence that I stop for breathing for short periods.  I am married and my wife is a ligh sleeper who wakes often during the night and she has never seen any sign of me gasping or not breathing.  I do think I may some day ask for  sleep study, but in my case it is an every night experience, not a once a month or year thing...which would not be caught in a short term study.