Sleep Disorders Community
Wake up seeing things???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Viewing 401-519 comments:
I see spiders too when i wake up.  it is always when i wake up around 4 or 5 am when my husband is getting up for work.  the room is only slightly lit and i can see the wall and the dinner plate sized spider runs across the wall or ceiling where ever I am looking.  i blink and it runs again and again each time i blink.  i know i am awake.  the first time it happened i actually sat up in bed and had to really stare at the wall to see if i was actually seeing a huge spider.  i started to call my husband but just kept blinking and staring.  i knew right away that it was not real but did not know why i was seeing it.  it finally went away.  but now i see smaller ones like the size of an apple maybe and they go away faster it seems.  so weird.  I am sorry this happens to you.  try to tell yourself it is not real.  
I say the same thing i need to pray more
Most of these experiences are what we call hypnogogic (when you are falling asleep) or hypnopomic (when you are waking up) "hallucinations". They are very frightening, but they aren't actually hallucinations. They are  the result of your mind beginning to dream even before you are fully awake or a dream state continuing even when you are beginning to wake up.

Most dreams occur during REM sleep.  In my experience, these "hallucinations"  are almost always a sign that you are either REM sleep deprived, that your sleep is "out of sync", or that you are getting too much REM sleep (common in depression and can also be caused by medications).  

REM sleep usually doesn't start until you have been asleep for at least an hour.  The sleep onset type of "hallucinations" occur when you begin to have REM sleep even before you are fully asleep.

hey if i see stuff when i wake up but that are omost real and well let give you an ex they move like they are soled
I am also the same, Last night I woke up and seen a person standing at the door of the bedroom, and I couldn't figure out where I was - but then remembered I was staying at my sisters house- I couldn't move any parts of my body or anything, even when I shut my eyes it was still there. Not too long ago before that I was in a different house again but my bedroom, I woke up and seen somebody sitting on my couch opposite my bed, a white glowing figure, it looked like my gran who passed away ages ago. I am one for believing in ghosts and stuff. As a child I would always see the spiders everywhere, and even at one point I seen cats all over my bedroom and I got really scared and went to sleep in beside my sister. At one point I had a really horrible dream, but it felt like I was actually awake, about my dad. He is still alive, my whole bedroom went red and he was just sitting beside me in my bed evilly laughing right in my face, and alarm clocks and really loud noises started happening. Another time I woke up and I seen my whole room close around me like I had no exists out of my room, I started pushing against the walls and hitting it so hard until my mum came through and asked me what I was doing. These are really starting to creep me the hell out.  I am 16 and this had been happening since i can remember.
i have the same thing with the spiders its happened twice years ago and just recently this morning twice.  And once some months ago it is so scary and I jump up or scream.  
i see these huge spiders as well i read in one of these postings that it is rem sleeping and can be caused by large amountss of stress, which i plan to look into.  just pray that God sends you comfort in that area and good luck with everything.
I had this situation I woke up and a tree branch
coming out of the ground made of shadow
was poking me in the neck poked me like three times I couldn't sleep after it

And its called sleep paralysis you feel woke but your half way sleep still and you can speak I couldn't speak I'm sure I was screaming. Half way woke with my eyes open

You can look it up any where on the net

Sleep Paralysis
hypnagogic dreams?
Been seeing spiders in my sleep since i was about 10 Im now 25. Also get up and look for things and wake myself in the process. once i was looking for my mom and got out of bed and tried walking down to the lake because i had dreamed that’s where she was going and i was following thankfully i woke up as i was opening the back door. scary you can be completely asleep and put yourself in that much danger i could have made it to the lake an drowned. once was alseep on the couch woke up putting pennies in my mouth. but lately its just been dark figures..cats .. mainly spiders. but when i get up and turn on a light i wake myself and realize it isnt real. sometimes i strip my bed just to be sure because it feels so real. takes me forever to get back to sleep.
Find some worship music and play it while you sleep! If you wake up and see stuff that is evil rebuke it in the name of Jesus!
I looked through these comments but I think mine are different because I don't see spiders or things like that really... When I dream, I see things that tend to happen down the road.. I see things that I ended up finding on the news later on.. Like I am there when it happens.. Some I never wanna see.  When I wake up to go to the bathroom... the past few times.. I will see what looks to be like a screaming head coming from my ceiling (From both places I have lived at.) Most recently, I woke up with my husband asleep next to me, and I saw a man with a yellow and black checker board jacket on, spike hair with goggles and just staring at me.. I screamed (Because my 2 year daughter was in the next room and I was terrified for her safety.) It stood there  the whole time  when my scream woke my husband and he turned on the lights, but when the lights came on, the guy was gone.. Most images I have seen awake are black and white but this was the first time I have seen it in color. I narrowed down what i had that night.. I ate a healthy meal, little caffeine, and I watched family guy..lol  So, no greasy food, hardly any caffeine and a comedy..lol  So I would def like to get all of your input on this.. I have been experiencing this ever since I was a child.. I am now 27. Thanks and Godbless!   ***@****
Wow I can't believe I found others.  I'm 23 and just began experiencing this exact thing - the man standing above me, or a spider-like thing coming down from the ceiling, but with a black shadowy non-defined look.  I am a chronic insomniac but have never sleepwalked or been unable to tell dream from reality. All of a sudden it keeps happening.  I immediately swear and try to hit in while reaching to turn on the light, and it's gone.  Then, as others have said, I fall back asleep easily with no anxiety.  It's similar to when I was hospitalized for a procedure and given ativan or a similar drug - I remember the procedure, but don't have the feelings of pain, shame, or stress associated with it.  I can remember the hallucination, but don't feel afraid.  What could be causing this?  Obviously it's common.
This kind of thing has also been happening to me all my life. It started when I was a small child and would wake up screaming. I would complain that my head was huge or that I had no legs while running around the house. lol. In my teen years I began to wake and see spiders and rats. I would fly up out of bed totally freaked out with my heart beating a million times a second. I also woke at night sometimes just feeling very weird. Sometimes cold and clammy. Other times hot and tingly. And once in a while from one extreme to the other within 10 minutes. It usually occurs within a half hour a falling asleep. I need to drink a glass of juice to level me out. This has continued as such into my early 30's. I still get freaked out every time and have to turn the tv and lights on in order to fall back asleep. 1-3 episodes a month is bad enough. I feel terrible for people this is happening to on a daily basis. It's good to know that I am not alone and that some good may come from us sharing our experiences. Best of luck all.
I have this. I think I see people in my bedroom. I actually had a conversation with someone I thought I saw and then my boyfriend shook me and aske who I was talking to. It's the weirdest thing. Half the time I pretend I was sleeping the whole time cuz I feel stupid. It happens almost every night. Mine is mainly people that I see. Like friends or family. Once I thought a party was going on in my bedroom.
WHAT DID YOU DO TO MAKE THIS GO AWAY. I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE ENTIRE WALL TURNING RED AND RUNS DOWN THE WALL. I HAVE SEEN SPIDERS. I HAVE SEEN ORBS AND SHADOW PEOPLE. I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY ARE HERE. I PRAY TO GOD TO KEEP ME SAFE AND MY FAMILY SAFE AS WELL. PLEASE TELL ME, DO OTHERS EXPERIENCE THIS? MARY 1953
What you experienced is a hypnagogic dream continuum. If you wake up in the middle of REM sleep, a dream is usually interrupted. Sometimes, when you experience a dream that is somewhat irregular, the dream is continued into your conscious state. As you've seen, this is very, very startling. When something like this happens, it naturally confuses your brain. This makes you substantially more suggestible, so you can't move, because you interpret what you are seeing as real by your initial instinct, so if what you perceive is real, you wouldn't be able to move.

I will suggest that the following dream (that you experienced in the living room) possibly signifies the fact that you are worried for your friend. For example, you want him to go to heaven, and not hell. It is common for things like this to occur at traumatic times, such as your friend dying. I think that the feeling of being watched is very natural after strange dreams like this.

Again, the presence of demons in your dream about your friend's life also suggests what I mentioned before.

There is nothing wrong with you. All it means is that you are a sensitive person and that you are grieving. It's very common.
Ive been seeing these black figures in woods. I am wide awake. I chase them and never get close enough they dont talk. I have called the police 3 times they called me crazy and i got locked in mental hospital. im on meds to control these "hallulations" as the doc said but still very much see them. anyone else out there see the same
I am 27 and I'm exactly the same and it started when I was younger too, these past few nights have been bad as I'm moving house and stress usually brings it on for me, I've pulled my neck and back cos I've jumped out of bed terrified cos of it
I get these episodes mostly when I'm stressed. However, I do tend to get these episodes at random times, as well. I am now 17 and I've been having problems like this since I was very young. It started off with sleep walking and now I see the most craziest things. Such as, animals, people, insects, you name it, I've seen it! I know I have these episodes, so i wake myself up and go back to sleep. I wake up feeling restless. I would very much like to find out why I am having these sleepless night
Im having the same thing only i dont see bugs i see a small boy an balloons... Resently ive only seen balloons i dont know why... But the balloons move... They bounce of the wall an door an go through the closed door but some just float about. Ive only had this for about a year but the little boy is freaky
I'm really relieved to know that there are tons of people that have the same experiences as I do. I started having these night terrors a few years ago(from what i can remember) and they seem to be progressing each time. It started with spiders on the wall or coming down from the ceiling and just got more bizarre from there.

I've seen: floating shrunken heads, flying squirrel/butterfly things, the walls will warp and spin(kinda like a portal)fingers wrapping around my doorway, eyes staring at me from the doorway, and recently i've seen a white/clear old woman figure with flowing hair staring at me in my doorway.

Last night in fact i woke up and saw "her" looking at me and when i began to scream for my mom i saw her running away and when my mom came no one was there. I am always terrified when i see these things, but realize eventually that they are not real. I usually will scream or shout at it to go away and it takes me awhile to go back to sleep. Typically all of the figures/shapes are dark and shadowy and are hard to distinguish.

I did have a traumatic experience when i was 4(though i never think about it) and accept that it may have something to do with it.I'm 22, and I do have stress sometimes, but these occurrences are always random and i never know if it will be a night terror-free sleep or not. I wish that these didn't happen, and if they continue to get worse i will probably go to a sleep clinic.

The bad thing is that most of the people i've told think i'm crazy, and i KNOW I'M NOT. My mother told me to pray it all away one night( I'm an Atheist) and it only made me angry. I'm sure that we are all suffering from a type of sleep disorder, and hopefully there is some type of therapy or help we can get to diminish or lessen these experiences.
You may be experiencing seizures.  Please see a neurologist and tell him/her
that your stomach is upset when you see these things and that it happens during the first hour of sleep.  Good Luck!
So glad to learn that my visions are rather commonplace. But, I don't see spiders. I hope that I won't now see them after reading all the comments. Yes, I see people and things. No one talks to me. The visions only last for seconds, and usually only upon waking from a short "accidental" nap i.e. falling asleep watching TV. I do not have bete noir. If I lay down in bed in the afternoon and sleep for at least an hour, I never see them upon waking. I never have repeat visions. I am 74 years old and the first visions started this past winter. After reading these reviews, I feel I should tell my doctor, but alas I haven't found many solid suggestions that rid the mind of the visions. If I do I will surely share. CCH
I have my girlfriend waking me up halfway threw the night saying my eyes are open and im standing there staring at something on the wall but she will turn onthe lights and its a blank wall and ill be talking to someone telling them to leave us alone when noones there and other times i wake up andsee blood all over my hands and cant wipe it off i see people who look zombie like standing at the end of the bed and when i sit up they reach for my neck tell i blink thn they disapear anyone know what it would be
what happens to me is ...i get into bed and its dark and im wide awake ...i see small dogs or cats ...on the chair in my bedroom ..once i saw a cat walking upsidedown on my wall and just last night i saw a stuffed rabbit twirling in the air but suspended above my bed ...i dont get scared as i know they are not there but its upsetting as im afraid im developing some kind of mental condition....but i know im awake ,,,actually ive gotten up to get water or whatever and see small dog walking ..i think its my small dog but its not there ...its not real ..if anyone has similar happenings pls leave a comment ...thankyou
I see mice, roaches, or spiders. They usually are in my bed or crawling on me. Sometimes I see dark figures that won't let me move. I awake screaming only to find nothing there. my husband says that I have yelled and cursed at my children when they came into our room at night, and sometime I kick and hit my husband. I never remember these things though. I'm afraid I'm going nuts. Just this morning I felt something crawling on me I flicked it hard and saw it on the side of my mattress, when I turned the light on it was no where to be found. No way it could have gotten away that fast. No explanation except I imagined it all.
I've experienced this for years (I'm 24 now), though mine aren't as terrifying as some that I've read. I have had spiders, ants, snakes, etc. hallucinations...which suck, especially when you get up and have to change your sheets and inspect your room 10x haha. But, mine are usually friends or coworkers that are in my room. I will wake up, get embarrassed because people can see me in my pajamas, and I will actually start to get dressed or pick up my room...that's when I'll snap back to reality and realize that I'm just hallucinating and go back to sleep. When I was in college ,I was a waitress, and I would hallucinate that there were customers in my room and that I needed to get them food...I would actually walk to my kitchen to find food for them... Now I'm a teacher, and I will think there are students in my classroom and I will begin to teach.  ...  I do actually talk, mumble, laugh, whatever to my hallucinations, then when I come-to I feel like a total dork lol. It's pretty embarrassing when I tell people, they don't get it and think I'm just dreaming... Nope, not a dream...I'm wide awake when these things happen.  I have a history of chronic insomnia, although I didn't when I first started experiencing these visions (my first one happened when I was 5-6...and it was terrifying for me!)

Like I said, my hallucinations are not so scary...but they are annoying. It happens practically every night, multiple times a night. Hard to get a good nights rest when you have friends in your room at 3:00am =P

I'm interested in learning more about this. Please share any information you learn from visiting a sleep doctor, etc.
Hi everyone I also have the same thing happen to me just a minute ago and decided to research if anyone is going threw what im going threw.It has been going on since I was a little girl but I've haven't encountered insects like spiders or animals but more of objects floating in the air. I would blink a couple times to see if I was aslusinating or something. I would wake up my boyfriend in the middle of the night scared. But I've realize that it only happens when my room is dark so now I'm stuck sleeping with a night light every night.is there any hope for this ? Does anyone know if it goes away after awhile.
I'm not a docter. but gigin, you see orbs? that souns like you are seeing through someone elses eyes. what i mean by this is, it is wicca, bt you each have a spirit that is always with you. dreams mean something i know they do, even i have reoccuring nightmares. Just focus on something good before you sleep, i watch what i do before i go to bed, for me its no tacos or watchin the movie shrek. what we do represents what we will dream about in a matter of speaking.watch what you eat and watch on the television, if you already tried this, i would consult a high priestess. or your "god"
u said why this was happening to you. you may not even have realized it. you said that you had a Paranormal childhood. this is just a continuation of it, trust me. I have some of the same proplems
Hi, This is my first time seeing this site. As I have been reading you and I seem to have the same problem.
My nightterrors started about 30 years ago after my sister and I talked one night. She told me about a cousin and so on well we had all been sexually abused by the same man as children.
I have had more night terrors in the past four weeks, they come at least one hour after I go to bed and fall asleep.
I do not remember anything before I see a man and start screaming.......
Over the years it has mostly been a man,never the same man, different ages, heights, weight and so on. I can describe them perfectly but do not know who they are.
Lastnight the man was coming through the window or wall next to our bed.
He had on a blue jumpsuit, about 40, greyish brown hair and I remember telling my husband it is really happening..........
What is so hard is that I scared my poor husband to death....he tries to reassure me but they just haven't stopped.
I have seen the man or a man in my bed next to me, at the foot of the bed, in the corner of the room and the doorway. Before the men I did see spiders and bugs but now it is a man.
They never speak to me and they don't try to hurt me so why are they there?
What do they want? Why does this keep happening to me?
Thanks for listening....
Liz T.
If these visions are occurring right before or after sleep, they are very likely hypnagogic hallucinations, which is to say that they are dreams that are happening while you are awake. They are also called night terrors. It is very indicative of a sleep disorder. Try googling the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, take the short test (answering the questions for how you recently feel), and if you rate higher than 11, tell your primary care physician that you need to see a sleep doctor.

I have narcolepsy with cataplexy, a sleep disorder (but not the only one) that has hypnagogic hallucinations as one of its symptoms. I have sensed intruders in my bedroom as well as insects crawling on me. It can be extremely terrifying. It is for me, especially before I understood why it was happening.

What can I do to help you?

Cricket
One Time I Had A Dream Where I Was Hurt By Getting Pulled Down a Hill by my friend i scraped My Knee When I Woke Up My Leg Was Hurting Like I Had Scraped It But There Was No Mark Wierd Right
Seeing things after I woke was something I had to endure for a long time. I was travelling alot so I was often in an alien environment, sleeping on cheap mattresses and not sleeping well at all. I learnt that with REM before I went to sleep (too much time on the laptop!) my brain would go into overdrive and I'd dream extremely vividly and I'd often keep these images as I woke up. One thing I would really recommend is taking down posters etc off your walls. I found this really helpful as I'd often dream of things that I'd have up (being a student, there were lots of odd pictures around) so by simplifying my sleep environment, I definitely felt calmer as I slept, relaxing my brain and making me less anxious
I have been waking up ,for the past four days,,and every time I open my eyes in the morning ,,I see rips and tears ,,but it looks kind of like horizontal rings of fire ,,,but they are in my eyes ,,and I can see through them ,,I just got curious about it today,,but they are not solid shapes ,,more like outlines,,,
I am afraid ,,that its a medical thing,,any ideas or suggestions?
Okay, it all started a few months ago. I woke up and saw a huge fly/mosquito sort of thing. I jumped and tried to waft it away. After this I thought okay so it was just a bad dream. However, about a week ago I woke and thought that there was a giant snake on my bed (snakes are my biggest fears!), I jumped up and used my quilt to cover it. I remember staying there for about 10 minutes thinking that there was a snake underneath and if I moved it would bite me. Eventually, I put my quilt over the bed and shook it until I had thought it had gone. Waking up the next morning I realised that I was just being stupid. But last night I saw an outline of a man in the corner of my room. I was terrified! I am so scared of falling a sleep and then waking up and seeing a figure stood over me. Please any suggestions how to over come this or how to help? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, 123_123_123
This is INSANE that we all not only experience the same phenomena but SEE the same things.... those who say it is some sort of sleep paralysis disorder bs.... there's no way. I agree with a few other posts... this has to do with something else out there... maybe other dimensions we are coming into contact with? Mine started when I was 23-24 and i sawe giant masive spiders hanging form the ceiling, crawling up the walls... they were very real and they were there. It hasnt happened in a while until last night... and last night was one of the worst. I woke up screaming "NO!!!!" at something that seemed like it was pulling me and i couldnt pinpoint or describe exactly what i saw until just now reading a post and someone said a "reversed tunnel"... that is exactly what i saw, a black reversed tunnel through the ceiling... what the heck does all of this mean? Anyone who tried to say it is some sort of disorder is lying. I want answers.
Hi Guys! This is going to be my first time sharing this because it just happened to me a few minutes time... The samething happened to me, I woke up at around 3:00am, I started seeing like an ethereal blueish or purplish or violet glowing spider crawling onto my wall. My arm reacted and grabbed my pillow and then hit it.. I then switched on the light.. I ask myself, where did it go? And so it bothered me, and decided to search it now on the internet.

I really don't know, but the way I see it, it was like invisible, glassy glowy purple glow or an ethereal.. like a spirit... I then start researching this.. I searched Spider Spirit. And the search lead me to a Google with the result of Spirit Totem - Spider.... I looked at it... It is basically, our own Spirit Animal Totem.. It gives us guidance, they are giving us a sign.. It either shows, you are now learning to weave your own life. Or the spider is there to remove negative thoughts from our minds and only have positive thoughts.. We are like getting closer to the centre of the universe and finding the answer.. You guys can google this... Thank you so much for sharing your experience as well!! It was a great experience but freaked myself out a bit.. hehehehe! I loved the experienced I had. :) I don't have any problem going to sleep. I am healthy. That's all, I just want to share it. :) It sometimes gives you goosebumps, but it was nothing.
Hello everyone I'm Jean and I would see the spiders too and jump scream run!!! But I also would see big bright lights as well have dreams that would come true. I always seem to see things right when I wake up flowers paintings drawing etc.. so here lately insteady of me being afraid I try to understand it and look at it as a message.so I pray pray pray for understanding now I'm doing readings which is crazy even for me!lol but its free and I've always felt other people emotions.so maybe some of u may just have a gift if not all of u.
Hi I'm almost 40 and yes this happens to me frequently..while I'm wide awake & all different times & places. I embrace it though. But I mostly see what appears to be animal size/shapes. Occasionally it/they appear to be human form.
What I have learned (for me anyway) is the more I try to see it..the more I concentrate & try to examine the shapes..or think about why would this figure be here or in a particular spot..etc. ...The more often I see things.
If I just brush it off as a shadow or just a naturally occurring thing..have a "eh..no big deal" attitude towards it...I tend to see far less.
Basically if I pay any attention to it...I see more. The less attention I pay..the less I see.
We have various theories in my family as to what exactly it is I experience. But regardless of what it truly is, I have accepted the fact that these are things I see...they don't seem to be interested or sometimes even see me at all. Its like passing a stranger on the street..you see them etc but its normal & you go about your business. Almost like 2 parallel worlds lol..I do wonder sometimes if what I see is real on some level & if it is...the things I see, can they/it see me? Again though, I have no fear or negative feelings. I just happen to see things..which I think is kind of cool. Reality or otherwise.  ;)
Hi. Iv been seein things as well, about an hour or two after I go to sleep at night. I wake up, feeling totally aware and not asleep. I see mainly people or things I'd consider to be "disfigured" people also.. They fade away eventually. I sleep facing French doors, and 1 night I actually seen two people on the other side which looked like had a metal rod sticking thru tha center between both doors "tryin to break in". I got up ran to tha door, and when I got there they were gone. Jus thought I'd share
Hi all, 41/F here. It has been fascinating to read these stories of hallucinations at night. I truly sympathize with those who are seeing faces and people and demons. That would be so very terrifying, so I am not surprised at all about the reactions of screaming, jumping out of bed, waking your partner, etc. I have had nighttime hallucinations for a couple of decades now, but have been fortunate in that they have never been in human, spider, or shadow form. For whatever reason, my mind chose dragons. For many years I have opened my eyes at night to see a floating intricate glowing red or green dragon. Usually it's face is right up close to mine, and its tail is up toward the ceiling. When I first started experiencing them, it would give me panic, and I would be up for a couple hours trembling and trying to get my heart rate back to normal. Gradually, I got used to them and then they would only give me a start and I could fall back to sleep in a few moments. The most Interesting thing is, I started seeing a therapist about a year ago for stress and anxiety. I must be making progress, because recently the dragons have transformed into flowers! Now I wake up in the middle of the night to see an intricate glowing flower or rose right close to my face, with the stem and leaves floating up toward the ceiling! The best explanation I can come up with, is that if these hallucinations are a manifestation of stress and disruption of natural cycles, then mine must have become such a habit for my system, that even though my stress has subsided, the hallucinations remain, and they have had to evolve into pretty flowers in order to match my non-stressed state of mind. I am interested in others thoughts about this, and especially whether others have experienced similar friendly or not threatening hallucinations. Thank you!
Well this is interesting,

I've always just assumed that this was part of havent a crappy nights sleep. Ive never talked to anyone about it because i never seamed relevant but now I realize that its not a normal thing.

My story: Seen things at night as long as I can remember and about 2 times a week. For me its always something in my room becoming something different. Like my shirts in my closet become a bunch of people or the blankets beside me becoming a person in bed with me. Normally my visions don't stop until I turn a lite on and prove to myself that its not real. 90% of the time when im seeing things as well i know in my mind that there is nothing there but its hard when its so real. "No adrian there is no reason why a person would be laying on top of your dresser"

I've found that sleeping in a pitch black room helped a lot, the less visual stimulation I have when I wake up the better. Maybe that will help some of you.
hi, I've had these same things happen to me all the time. i would say at least twice a week. i would wake up seeing spiders/bugs crawling all over me and i would jump up and throw the covers and wake up my significant other panicking. I've seen them on the walls or in the corner of my room. I've also seen figures of people standing in my doorway to my room when i wake up, once something next to me with a  gun and i felt so scared and really thought i was going to die until i really looked and nothing was there. these things have been happening for years now but more frequently. I'm glad i see these things are happening to others.
Ive always slept walked and got myself stuck in a corner trying to find the door.  I had never lived alone until last September. Moved into my own place and for 2 weeks I had the hallucinations, anywhere from 6 minutes to an hour after falling asleep.  I got a dog and that helped for 3 nights then it came back.  Then got a housemate out of desperation, had not see anything since.  She wasn't here the other night and saw a striped box in my room moving n coming towards me, so woke up and turned the light on and took forever to calm down and get to sleep.

When it started last year I was seeing bugs, ants, spiders, flying objects, dark figures.  I'd assumed it was Bcoz I was scared of someone breaking in but I don't feel that scared now.  I have a night light in my room on every night, the range hood light on too.  I have booked into a therapist to get help as my housemate moves out this weekend and my boyfriend won't be here every night.  Searched online and finally found this.  I have hope now to get help. It's so scary and I am so anxious after it that I don't want to fall asleep again in case I see it again.

It only happens when I'm home alone
Ok, well I'm 14 and this morning at 4am, I woke up in fright, being able to see through walls. I could see all the rooms and the whole of downstairs as I looked around. Before I woke up I was dreaming about this guy killing me and my family, so I woke up, running down stairs, still being able to see through the walls. Like an arcitectural blueprint of a house with all the outlines but in my 3D/Perspective. As I ran down, the ability to see through walls started fading away and the actual solids(walls ect) started appearing again. So I run out the house thinking someone was chasing me, I turn around and notice someone at the window, thinking it was the person, but it was my mother, but I couldn't recognise her. By this time I'm fully awake, I see that the person moves away from the window. I think that he is going chase or so. So I run all the way to my sisters place, that's basically it. All this happened withing 20-30 seconds. A few years ago  Iv'e also seen spiders in my bed, I wasn't scared, infact I enjoyed their company since I love spiders.

Reply please and tell me what was happening inside my brain and WHY I could see through walls. Thanks!
yes every nite in my house in the trees. i sleep just fine but around dusk almost every nite i start seeing tracers shaped like people concealed in a mist that is darker then the nite sky. i have a tendency to believe  its more of a spiritual thing then anything else. those dark no face people i think are shadow people, interdenominational ?? not sure myself .
5:00 AM: I need answers, please? I just woke up and I cant go back to sleep. I don't remember what I was dreaming about but the last thing I remember was I was walking and it was dark but I felt things around me and when I turned around someone or something jumped in front of my face. I immediately woke up and turned over to see someone/something face-to-face with me. It was dark in the room and I couldn't make any faces. I hopped out of bed and looked around my room as I was running out to see figures standing everywhere. I ran out the bedroom door and looked at my sister to see it standing over her and continued to run to the kitchen. Everywhere I turned it was standing there. I turned on the oven light and looked back at my room (which has glass doors) and it was in my room staring at me. It kept saying things to me but I wasn't listening. They all started fading away so I decided to go back into my room and I turned on the light and I'm just sitting here on my bad refusing to go back to sleep. (I brought my dog in, just in case) I've been sitting there for 5 minutes and then all the power in my room (JUST my room, not any other room in the house) shut off, I **** you not! I then proceeded to run out again and turn on all of the light in the house and I will not go back to sleep.
I was having weird dreams about people dying.. The dreams would start out as a family/people picnic, then turn bad.. someone would come & start killing everyone, taking their insides out but I never got hurt & I could never do anything to help.  Horrible dreams like that were around for about a year or two.. then ever since, I have been having dreams about spiders or cockroaches or beatles... each night its a different kind of bug.. But I wake up half aleep only to find myself wiping off my bed with my hands.. as if im wiping away the spiders or whatever kind of bug is on my bed...   I can never fully wake up though to see if anything is actually there. :/
This makes me feel alot better! I am actually going in for a sleep study in a few weeks to get this checked out. Just from looking on google i think i might have sleep apnea, which is causing a lack of oxygen to the brain, making me hallucinate when i sleep and also i get really bad fatigue during the day.

I originally used to see spiders all the time when i was younger, then about 5 years ago it started more frequently, with me waking up one morning around 3, seeing a dark figure of a girl sitting on the side of my boyfriends side of the bed, looking down at him. I originally panicked and thought someone had broken into our house to rob us, then realised it wasn't real when it started to sort of evaporate. Since then i have seen spiders, giant butterflys, an old man with a beard next to the bed, jellyfish floating on the bed, the curtain rail stretching into the wall, raining in the bedroom, weird creatures that don't even exist looking like a hybrid of an ant and a crab (around the size of a cat) etc etc etc. First time i thought it was a ghost or something, now i realised that i just have a sleeping disorder. Fingers crossed i can get treatment if it turns out to be sleep apnea and then i can feel alot more "AWAKE" and less sleepy during the day.

I actually have a theory that most of the time people are seeing "Ghosts" they are actually just hallucinating from Sleep Apnea or things of the sought.
I have been having similar things . But this is my story I am now 27 years old male who wear glases because I am a -10 on each eye . I have been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old. The thing is that when I was maybe like 16 years old one night I opened my eyes and saw like alot of wires of different colors all wrapped up and when I tried to grabbed it , then It slowly disapeared. Now similar things such as headphones and microphones have appeared and they all disapear slowly. I know for fact that is not real because been almost blind and then I like to sleep in really dark room, there is no way possible that I can see without glasses or my contacts on.So I just ignore it and continue sleeping like a baby. But last night I went to sleep and maybe woke up after 30 minutes and I saw this weird black and red floating thing at my door and the tv was on , I also forgot to remove my contacts . I was like wtf so I grabbed my Dishnetwork remote and threw it to whatever that thing was. But there was nothing there. So having this experiences for all this years , I have come to the coclusion that is just in my head. Now I do workout, eat healty, have a good sex life. I do smoke weed but I know it have nothing to do with smoking weed because I started smoking when I turned 21 and I have been seen this things before weed came to my life.It always seems to be some kind of electronics . I do music and work as a technician but all this started when I was 16 before I even thought of becoming a tech or doing music. So the only thing that I can say is wtf?? But well at least I can sleep like a baby!! In fact I have to go to bed! Good night !!!
I was laying in bed when I open my eyes i saw something on the side of my eye on the wall it was a big spider i sit up trying to smash it but my hand keep going throw it i notice it had more then 8 leg more like sixteen but it was moving real fast up the wall the spider was kind of white but not maybe a ghost color don't know how to tell u but when i saw it going more up the wall it keep getting bigger and when it hit the ceiling it was gone i rolled over and picked up the phone to ask my mom if i was crazy and she said no she see stuff like that too.
I am 57 and began to have strange night visions as a young child. The doctor said they were night terrors, but I specifically remember being wide awake while seeing strange people/insects in my room.
The visions eventually went away, and now, all these years later they have returned... spiders, floating heads, people by my bedside! Ugh.
Thinking I was having demonic visions, I started researching on the Internet and found the following link. It seems these exact hallucinations are linked to certain medications and I am taking one of them that is implicated in this disorder.  I haven't stopped the medication yet, but plan to do so and will post to let you know if I have any success.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Sleep-Disorders/Why-am-I-hallucinating-spiders---ants-when-I-wake-up/show/1800750#post_8293166
Hi, yea this is crazy it happens to me to . But I've only ever seen bugs never people that would just freak me.out thinking my house is haunted or something lol  . But the first time it happened to me was in 8th grade and I woke up to thousands of roaches crawling in my room . I remeber screaming and jumping ontop of my mom in her bedroom but when we walked back in it was completey empty .. I also woke up to a spider hanging down from the celing torward my face and I hopped off my bunk bed (top) and hurt my ankle aittle.. I wish I knew what caused this because running out of my room screming is getting kind of tiring and embarrassing :/ its been happening on and off for 5 years now
Ive been having these visons for a while now. I'll wake up and there is something right in front of my face. it seems mechanical. Then when I look at it and it sees im awake it retracts on some sort of arm towards the window. When I try and visualise it after im fully awake it seems to be like the globe eye from flight of the navigator.
I also see things just floating above me, sometimes with a red light on it. Cant quite make out a definate shape. They are still there after I blink, but obviously nothing there when I turn the lights on.
I remember seeing things as I was growing up. It started with walking in my sleep but then just evolved into seeing things.
I remember at 17, shouting for my Dad (highly embarassing) I woke up and could see the leg raise on the weight bench in  my room moving up and down and I could hear it too. My dad came in the room and the leg bar was nolonger moving. Its very frightening to see real objects in my room being manipulated by what must be my dream state.
so the things I see can be anywhere from a horror movie I have never watched but saw a commercial for to children playing and shadows moving, also I don't have blinds so when I turn the light on I see things outside. even right now after being up for 2 hours I still see things out of the corner of my ears. this has happened a few times before but this is the first time its been everyday for a week. its august 6th today and it started july 29th. also I am scared of the dark still because of this and I have to have stars in my room to feel safe. im almost 18 and I don't know what to do
pray.....look up cast away demon prayers and when u see them say it to their face they will disappear but from what I know they will be mad so have a priest come out and bless your house or put holy water on your door and walls so they cant get back in if they do come in after that they are probably family members or good hearted people but if they scare u, u know theyre evil
last night I was sleeping and I woke up at like 4am and looked over by the door and saw what looked like a human banging its head on my door from the inside I watched it for like 5 minutes and it just stared out never acnologing I was there finally I remembered I had left an umbrella there but when I woke up in the morning the umbrella wasn't there....anybody seen this before
I wake up too, in the early am when the light is just coming in and I sometimes will see spiderlike creatures running across the ceiling and disappearing into the fold of the ceiling and wall. Recently I was at my daughters new/very old house and I awoke to a very large spidery like creature with many small ones surrounding it running across the ceiling into the corners. I prayed and the next morning there were more. It was disturbing.I've never seen this many before. After reading these posts, I know others have experienced this too. Any suggestions?
Ive been having this problem for almost a year. I am 26 and ive only told my partner, mostly because i dont want anyone thinking im crazy. Ive been so scared ive bursted out in tears, ive also insisted on going to a hotel thinking it was just the house. Its not been as bad lately, thankfully... but it could just be because i try and ignore it. The things ive seen are so much worse than spiders and shadow people i watched shadows on the wall before and its like they tried to get my attention and well it was just crazy, scary and to crazy for me to repeat. At one point i thought it was all my girlfriends fault since its only ever happened with her but its not happening to her, only me. So i feel terrible for thinking that way. It got worse for a while, Even when we were on a cruise i felt something touching my face while i slept and i couldnt do anything about it. Finally when i woke up i turned to her crying and i sat on the patio for hours. The feeling i get from it isnt a good one. And im not scared of much of anything usually, this is just to much. And the crying, i dont cry for anything. Seriously not haunted houses, breaking my neck, reptiles... Only heights and this, im not sure if im scared because of the feeling it gives me or because i cant explain it but i wish someone could positively, without a doubt answer what it is. Almost see through colorful huge spiders, shadows, being touched, not able to move or wake up, snakes moving under the blankets and actually feeling them a few times, dreaming and feeling/ thinking i was awake even when the dream made no sense but feeling things touch me made it real enough, dreaming and fighting to wake up only to end up in another dream (not knowing until i actually get up). the horrible feeling even when im not seeing anything like something is about to happen or im being followed. Wow the more i write the crazier i seem! Ill just stop here. If anyone has answers id greatly  appreciate the help, i dont go online much but a text or voicemail would be great 727 290 7034
I agree with u. And i wonder if the other dimension can see us?  Quite a few timesright when the sun was coming up id look at the shadows on the wall and i could see shadows that i could swear are peopl trying to get my attention. And before that the shadows would look like flames and it would really scare me. I tried staring for as long as i could but id always end up getting to scared and look away. one night i can swear i saw someone walking through the room, not a shadow though, it was like see through greenish. I also could see things moving like pictures on the wall slightly shifting. I didnt put my bed on a box spring so it was sitting directly on the floor and i could feel it moving at times just to many unexplainable things. Thats not even half of it and its not like you can tell people or your automatically crazy.
I sometime see the exactly same things when I wake up in the morning. It started few years ago.  Recently I started seeing strange letters on walls when I wake up.I have no clue what they are but I have a feeling that it has something to do with brain damage or eyes. When you look up in the sky or stare at white walls, do you see black dots moving?
I have never had anything like this happen to me before. I woke up, it was still dark, and I saw a glowing white creature much like a skinny octopus. It had a round body and many, many appendages. It was about 3 inches across. At first I thought it was a daddy long legs, but as I became more awake, realized it was glowing and "floating."

Has anyone else every seen one of these? I'm wondering if it's some kind of being from another place. It was real, I am sure of that.

Michele
I had a bad dream last night and when I woke, I saw this real clear image of 2 halloween pumpkins (one big, one smaller) with evil smiling faces on them.. they’re not in color, but in bright light against the darkness of the ceiling.

I've been having this similar experience lately and the moment I opened my eyes from that bad dream last night, I knew I was going to see something. When I saw it, I thought I would take a good look at it (usually I turn on the light right away) for maybe it's just my imagination and it would be clear that there was nothing if I just take a moment to really look.. but they didn't go away, and the face on the bigger one looked really evil.. so I got scared and turned on the light. I kept it on for a while and then went back to sleep again with the light off, after a short while, I woke up again and saw another face, this time it's sideways in shadow.

Last time before last night this happened that I can recall was about 8 small faces/heads lined up in a row on my ceiling, all with different expressions, and they keep changing..but all look down at me and they are in shadows.

I recall when I was a teen, I had a dream of someone standing next to my bed with a knife, I woke up in terror to find my mom hanging up clothes to the closet just right beside my bed.. because of that I thought maybe I can sense something around me while I sleep and that's the reason I have bad dreams or nightmares.

I had sleep paralysis when I was younger too and to avoid that, I now always sleep on my side or stomach.. but with these experiences, when I wake up, I'm always on my back.

How can I make this stop? I'm getting this quite often now..

I'm so afraid of getting back to sleep. My first experience with these illusions was rougly 20 minutes ago.

I don't remember my dream very good, but I woke up seeing a huge dark butterfly flying over my bed. At first I didn't really react since it was only a butterfly, luckily. It started to fade away and I paniced.

Sat in my bed for minutes thinking I'm going crazy. Now I'm super afraid of sleeping because I'm afraid I'll wake up to scarier things next time. I can't imagine how it must be to wake up with a girl next to you or something else.

I'm sleeping with the lights on tonight. :(
I am seeing huge spiders on the wall and I first chased it and it disappeared
Then I noticed if I close my eyes  and open them I can make them appear.
This scared me at first,but then I realized they weren't real.I only see them in the morning and I don't sleep well and I am on an anti-depressant.
I just want to know if this is doing me any harm and do I need to go to the doctor ?
I have recently started having very similar experiences. Mine are a little different than the experiences that I have been reading abut all day though. I often wake up to see the spider like creature somewhere really close to me like on my bed frame, by my pillow, or even dangling right above my face. They always stay there for a second but, instead of magically disappearing, they always run away in really odd ways. The most recent, about an hour ago, I saw the "spider" and it squeezed its whole body into a tiny, flat space in my wooden bed frame. It was so unbelievably rel, It took me twenty minutes to realize that It wasn't a real spider because a real spider could never fit in that space. These experiences are absolutely terrifying for me due to the fact that I have serious arachnophobia. Every time it happens I become crippled with fear. I'm just happy I'm not alone.
I am so happy to see these other post, I really thought I was going insane. I had no choice but to conclude I was dreaming since I couldn't prove I saw anything.. but I feel like I am jolted out of my sleep and eyes wide open when I see these bugs, first it was spiders, but big ones.. Not large that could be abnormal, but bigger than spiders I have seen anywhere here.  Big and black, clearly black in a dark room. Every time I jump, scares me because I don't like bugs, let alone any bug on my bed. This happened a few times in the past and seems to be happening again. This time the bug is smaller, and FAST. like it's a super powered bug. looks similar to a spider but Im not sure what it is. Each time I jolt up out of my sleep in the middle of the night as if something woke me, and when I wake, I see a small 6 or 8 legged something speeding across the pillow then disappear. Then when I search under the beds, around the pillows everything.. nothing.. After last night I decided to look it up since i couldn't fall back asleep. It was weird and it's annoying. I dont' like bugs.. I dont' like anything running and then disappearing. But they aren't even really there. I swear I see them.. but I dont' think they are there. And considering it keeps happening exactly the same way.. it's unlikely it's real. I felt I was loosing it lol.
I experience the same thing now and again. I will fall asleep and at some point open my eyes and see a huge bug on my wall. They're typically spiders. It's always so frightening I literally jump out of bed and turn my light on. I inspect the area making sure it's okay then go back to bed. I did it once at my boyfriend's house and ran down the hall. Luckily I didn't wake him but I'm not sure about next time.
I see weird stuff like ball falling off a shelf above adoor, n there is no shelf above the door usually when i see stuff it is by a door n i also sleep walk n i wake up to realize i am under tables flipped upside down on me,  i am so scared to sleep, is anyone seeing weird stuff besides bugs?
Hi Michelle,
Regarding your  post, about 10 yrs ago, my father had recently passed away, I remember waking up and seeing shiny , or glowing white medusas, or tiny octopus like bodies floating above me.  They looked so real I remember reaching up to grab one but then  they disappeared. I woke up about 3 times to see them, however that was years ago.  More recently I've seen other floating things, but they are dark, and have non distinct shapes, one looked like dark floating wings , and the other looked like it was floating above my pup, which sleeps on the bed with me.  Last night I woke up because I felt an incessant tickling or pinching on my side side and I saw what looked like my pup getting up, but then the figure disappeared and I realized she was lying sleeping on the bed.  I have not been sleeping well though (about 2 hrs per night) and have been under a lot of stress taking care of my doggy which is ill.  I've seen posts explaining that lack of sleep and poor quality sleep can be causes, but it makes me wonder also if when we wake up we can "temporarily" see things that we normally are not able to while we are conscious and awake. I also realize that I am battling feelings of guilt for not praying regularly, as I used to when I was a child. I am of catholic faith, and find that this is affecting me a lot.
these all happen just due to the whole day's thinking and restless sleep  
I was searching "seeing orbs while falling asleep" and came to this discussion....interesting read. Some of what I have read is rather scary. I have been experiencing something for years now....well I have had odd things happen to me since around 14ish. When I was younger I  have actually seen objects move and I was very much awake. Scared me so much then I would hide under the covers. Then there was a span of time that I experienced nothing unusual...probably from about 20ish-early 30's.

Now here we go again. About 11 years ago I was renting an old house for a couple of years and while laying down with my eyes closed...not sure if I was sleeping...maybe dozing...just in that tranquil place, but my eyes would shoot open to a floating, perfectly round about the size of a soccer ball object. Inside it looked electrified. It reminded me of one of those globes at the science museum where when you touch it electricity connects to you hands...it looked exactly like that. It would float from the dining room...across the living room and up the stairs. I would watch it the whole time...I felt completely awake (I was blinking, thinking, analyzing)  there was usually a lamp on so it was not a dark room, I was never frightened..I would just observe.
This would happen many times before I had moved out. There was even a couple times where as I watched this ball it turned in my direction as if it knew I was watching and came really close to my face..so close that I would began to pull my head back. When I pulled back it would stop and then go on the direction it was originally going. It would always just fade away.

Now I live in a brand new house and to many times to count I have the same things  happening. I have seen this in every room of the house. What I see is never a everyday object or a recognizable one. It's always a pale white floating, stretching ball/blob that I watch float from one area to vanish usually as it hits the wall. I relate it's look to a jellyfish at times if it has the stretching look to it. Sometimes its close to me and other times not. It  usually, at some point, passes right above me in it's travels. I feel very much awake, I feel like I am thinking clearly and making sense of things...don't feel confused or dazed. I even  blink, squint and refocus my eyes to make sure it's really there and it always is. The experience is so vivid every time that I can go back to the very first time it happened and give a detailed drawing of it (i'm and artist so I love to draw)

The way I wake to this is as if I almost sense something by the way I wake up. It seems whether I have just fallen asleep or have been sleeping for hours my eyes will pop open and move directly to this floating thing. After it disappears I usually get up and go to the bathroom or just roll over and go to sleep. I have only told my mother about this...others I feel would think I have lost my mind.

Anyone have any thoughts?  I have read through this thread and most seem to be seeing actual objects...not sure if we are experiencing the same thing. I have experienced many other "odd" things through my life, but for now will stick to the subject here.

Thanks for listening to the winded post :)
I wanted to add that the 1st ball thing I saw in the older house didn't have color either just a pale white/gray color.
I woke up 2 nights ago thinking i was dreaming and saw a life BLACK life like object in my bathroom, my wife looked in there and said there was nothing i fell back asleep instantly. Didn't really think much of it but last night i woke up scared and saw a 6' black life like object at the foot of my bed i blinked and it was gone, i fell right back asleep!! Am i going crazy??
I had the same dream for 2 years also I saw spider on the wall on my lamp in the blind at fist they scare me but after 2 years they were  a part of my life.
And then I found out the girl I was with was ******** on me and lying to me all that time. That was  the best time of my life be free from her. she was a bad girl .I don't do drug I don't have a vision problem and I live in the same house.
no ghost.
after that day its been 4 years now I never seen a spider in my life. I found  I very cute girl the love of my life and I m happy.
I thing it s your angel that try to said something to you .me I know it s my grand mother I friend saw her she s with me all the time and she s protecting me from bad people and bad spirit.
I m Shure they is something your not happy in your life for that to happened.do a clean up to your life to see if it will not happened.
thank you for reading this and I m sorry for my French riding.
I m David
Well at first i can hello, my name is Sophia and also i have the same that expirience many times already, so dont freak out. i'm 27 year old and i start seeing thats stuff, basically 3 years ago. So the last time , was a mounth ago, and this creature was looking like giant white jellyfish and was just floating from the ceiling, and i just stare at it, i wasnt scare at all, i just cant understand why i see this thing lol, so i blinked and 20 seconds after the vision just disappear...So don't panic, we all seeing that's kind of things, and i thinks it have rational explanation, just be patient :)
This seems to happen to me when i get too hot in bed. Ive seen spiders,ants and a snake. Recently i saw the outline of a group of people staring at me and when i forced my eyes open wider they disappeared. Also i seem to be having episodes of sleep paralysis along with hallucinations. More often than not i see a pair of hands or arms and they begin to wrestle me. when they touch me i get a strange feeling of pain mixed with tickling. It feels so real and when i force my eyes open and wake up it stops. Its really starting to scare/upset me to the point where i dont want to sleep. Does this sound like other peoples symptoms?
Hey, I'm Evan. I tend to have a very odd "disorder". Whenever my mom wakes me up in the morning, I tend to wake up (Apparently) and open my door, and tell her I'm getting ready for school. Then, I  somehow manage to fall asleep again, and later on wake up again not knowing what happened; having no memory of the first time I was woken up. This is very annoying because my parents get mad at me for going back to bed, and I have no idea why they are saying that or what had happened.  I have no idea why this happens, and I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
First, sorry for my bad English, It is my second language.I didnt know that there are so much people experiencing these. I found two solutions to them and I think I have to share it with you all. When I was experiencing these things I realized that I was getting too much hot and sweating. Since i begin to sleep in a very little cold at night, these experiences became very rare. The second thing is that, those times I had these horrible experiences I was believing in religions and god but then religions became my hobby and the more I search and learn them the more I hated them. Now I am an atheist and all these experiences disapeared! I have no idea how this has a relation with religion but when i used to pray while these experiences happening, no god or something stop these experiences and sometimes made it WORSE! I have only shared the things that I experiences I wish this helps and maybe you find the relation between religion and those experiences.
I thought I was going crazy. I have the same thing. It's happened about 6 times in the past 6 months. I've seen a snake once in my bed and the rest have been people either standing in the corner or looking right over me or standing at the end of my bed. It's weird because I actually wake up so I'm aware of things but I just see someone standing there looking at me and I freaked out get out of my bed turn on the light and there's nothing there or I just got my bed and turn around and there's nothing there and never was I don't understand it.
My four year old is experiencing this. She came my room from her room saying her knee hurt. So I was massaging her leg.  She said she seen a bee coming toward her with red eyes. She was scared. I had to cover her eyes while my husband hurried to turn in the light. She was really scared. She then slept in between  my husband and I, and still was scared saying she was seeing it. She said Put the blanky over my head. She also complains of seeing shadows.  
Hi, my name is Ligia and I am 17 now. I've been experiencing the same thing as you for a while now. It happened to me twice when i woke up in the middle of the night and saw a woman or something like that,looking all white..i couldn't move my body, so i just stared at her as she passed through the wall,it creeped me out. Besides that, I often wake up and see snakes and spiders all over the room. I'm pretty sure I'm not dreaming, I blink but they are still there til i open the light. I am really confused and don't know what to do to get rid of them.
13/F
I used to have this when I was younger, mostly when I was 5-8. I remember quite clearly, once seeing a huge spider hanging from my ceiling, calling for my parents, and when the light was on it was still there and moving down on it's web towards me. My parents wiped their hand through it, and after a bit it went away. I had a night light, and saw things like these frequently. I must've been quite young, as I remember reaching for water (from a sippy cup) and it was filled with small black spiders.

I recall many things like these,I remember asking my dad if ants were crawling along the ceiling, and he said there was nothing there, but after that they slowly faded away.

My scariest one was a dream with a (huge,1/4 size of my door) orange dead spider hanging by what looked like a ribbon on my doorknob. I was in my room and walked towards it. I screamed in the dream, and it was coming alive. Then I woke up. My parents were often called into my room from my crying/ screaming from these hallucinations.

It happens not as often now, but generally they were/are trying to kill me, and yes, I could move, and I would hide, so I'm guessing it may not be sleep paralysis?

If I believe in them less I think they go away. I'm not a complete nutjob. :/

Does anyone else have this happen to them?
I'm 74 also and had my first vision recently.  After reading how many people have these visions it has made me feel relieved and more normal.  I would suggest that you never see a doctor. At our age doctors would probably put us away you can't trust them.
I am 66 years old and just recently started seeing people that don't exist. It always happens if I awake during the night. I have a window that shows a reflection of another window and forms all types of things in my brain. Most often it takes a form of a man, always with a hat and coat, now get this he is usally just standing there, however the other night it was cold and he had a face mask on and holding a rifle looking the opposite way from me. He doesn't scare me at all, sometimes I just laugh, because I know it is not real. Also there is a door in my sun room, and I often see people outside on my deck, i am fully awake, I can move, so when I walk to the door I see them get up from chairs and just walk away. The first time it happened I called the law, glad they didn't come, because I realized my brain was making people out of other objects, yet I don't understand how they, move and yet the real objects are there once I awake!      
Well I have been doing this stuff for about 3 years not, I am so conviced my celling fan is a monster spider when I wake up in a half sleep at night. I watch it move like its coming right down to my face... which its turned off, but in my mind its a monster spider and moving. I was shocked to actually see others having similar problems. I have woke up and stood up in bed with the floor full of snakes and etc. scarry but it takes me a few minutes to realize they not real.. now we have the problem how do we stop doing this.. I am lucky to get 3 hours of sleep a night anyway where I just cant sleep anymore, so it would be nice to sleep uninterrupted...
I have not had sleep paralysis in a long time. I suffer from PTSD and schizophrenia. Recently I woke up and there was a bright light in my face and I felt smothered and I could not move. My fiance' tried to hug me and I did not recognize her. Now when I go through the house it feels like there is something on my heels constantly. My doctor said that it takes time for this to go away and one of my therapists have had these hallucinations. It brought back memories of when I was a kid and I would wake up and couldn't move and there was this old woman staring at me(I still get goosebumps). Other times there was a figure standing at the end of my bed at the foot. That time I went back to sleep however I remembered it. This other time in college, I was asleep and woke up and the dark figure was standing by my upper body and I felt menaced. As a schizophrenic I do suffer from hallucinations and voices (which I am on meds). One of the worst sleep hallucinations I had started before I went to bed. I kept hearing footsteps running up and down the stairs. All my doors were locked. I made myself stay up because it had me upset. I eventually fell asleep in my chair. I had not been asleep for more than a few minutes and when I woke my arms and legs were flailing all over the chair. It felt like I had been pulled down in the chair. I am not sure what to think about the metaphysical aspect of these encounters. Although, it does make sense about the sleep paralysis. Knowing there are others out there, I don't feel so crazy. lol
This is the first time that someone seems to have to same visions that I have. I see a person standing by my door and then when I turn the light on it turns out to be clothes hanging on the door.  I have seen an older man, an old lady in a chair, a young lady looking in my closet.  Recently I saw a black kitten standing on my fax machine by the door.  Only once I thought ants were on my bed, I had to strip my bed, shake and remake the bed and back to sleep.

My neighbor is a Medium, talks to dead people and he thinks I am seeing ghosts in my bedroom.  Anyway it's comforting to see that lots of people see things that are not there.  
I have PTSD which has lead to "adult night terrors", so I've had them before and I know what they feel like, I'm normally freezing when I wake up and I feel things crawling all over me. I most commonly see Spiders, Rats & Snakes... & they are everywhere, and I can feel them crawling on me... then I scream at the top of my lungs, throw my blankets off my bed and run to the lights, then they are gone.

I haven't had a night terror in almost 2 years.

Three nights ago 1/20/14, I went to sleep at Midnight, at 3am I woke up burning up, covered in sweat and felt like someone was watching me, when I looked at the end of my bed there was a young man just standing there. I turned on the lights and he was gone. My closet was closed and there was nothing there except the solid white door. I just assumed it was a very vivid dream and watched some tv and went back to sleep..

The next night, on 1/21/14, i went to bed roughly around midnight again,  and at 3am I woke up burning up again and the boy was there again, just standing there. Again when i rushed to the lights he was gone and there was nothing there except my white closet door. I assumed it was just my mind remembering the night before.

Tonight I went to bed again at midnight, and at 3am i was again woke up burning up and he was there... in the same place. I turned on the light and he was gone. But I left my closet door open last night, and I still saw him.

I'm honestly not sure if this is a night terror or not, but i really am starting to freak out a little bit..
I am glad to see this thread and that it is still current. For years I have seen spiders in a state of sleep/awake. They were not very normal spiders as they had very human like qualities and they were always hanging on a web in front of my face. When I woke fully I would see them zoom up their silk thread into a silk plant on a shelf above my bed. So I gave the silk plant to charity. It was to creepy to keep it around. After ridding myself of the plant, I didn't have the dreams again for years until I moved into the current residence. Now it has gotten worse. A few weeks ago I saw a tarantula like spider hanging on my curtain. It was glowing red on it's abdomen. Then last night I woke up to a strange creature staring at me inches away from my face. I think I screamed, although I am not sure if I really did or if I thought I did. The creature jerked in surprise and I think I asked it what it was doing, at that point it appeared to run across my night stand through the wall behind my bed. I woke up heart racing. I had to convince myself it was one of my cats to get back to sleep, but I knew it didn't look like one of my cats and both my cats had cleared out of the bedroom which made me think I did scream.
You are not alone. I started looking for information after my husband was taking a shower & a solid black blob with appendages appeared on the ceiling. When he looked up & saw it, it took off moving in a creepy manner & disappeared into the floor. I know it sounds insane, but he is a 6ft man that now asks me to sit in the bathroom while he showers. A few days before that it was raining from part of my ceiling in the shower, not drops, raining like it would outside. When my husband touched the ceiling to see what was going on, everything flew off the shelf in the shower. We have seen strange things on & off for the last 10 years. Never been touched (thank god). Had our names being called when nobody else here, banging on the ceiling, a shadowy figure. I'm at a loss, as we live in my childhood home & when my family lived here, nothing like this ever happened. I've lived here since 1973 & nobody has ever died here. Thinking about setting up cameras,but afraid at what I might see.
yesterday I saw a leopard walking right before I fall asleep, I watch so much discovery channel , now I'm waking with msuic playing in my head
That's what happen to me the first hour of my sleep I see things in my room like someone hiding under The bed or see snake in my room the I will try to run way from it, after I realize that it's a dream
Those are hypnagogic Hallucinations.

These are pretty common actually and often manifest as a dark presence that seems to approach you or even sit/push down on your chest.

It's basically a waking dream where you are conscious but are still having some of the effects of REM, namely the hallucinations and skeletal muscle paralysis (which is why you can move your eyes but not any other part of your body).
I wonder why spiders are so prevalent? Last night I woke to see a strange insect like creature the size of a dog walking across the ceiling. I knew I was wake-dreaming but I had to think why my mind created that image. I'd just been dreaming about a room full of cake. Why couldn't I wake up to cake??!
To those out there that see spiders don't be scared its not what you think.  My mother has seen spiders, floating wolf heads, flying fish, wavy lines, triangles, and even cartoon characters.  They are symbols of psychic abilities.  She thought for a long time that something mentally was wrong. Until the girls in my family started to talk to each other about the things we saw and felt.  My sister kept seeing a black dog. She would see it around my younger brother for years.  He passed away at 13 and she never saw it again.  These are symbols the other side gives you to help you though your life. My mother and sister see symbols, mostly my mother, and I dream about things that come to pass.  I sometimes see lights, orbs, shadows, and sometime people and then gone the next second.  It is nothing to be scared of we are all just changing.
Like many people here, I asked Google a question and was led to this page. The question was regarding the things I see during the night, when it is pitch black and always just after falling asleep. I used to always see those 'electrified orbs' when I was younger, floating just above my head or at the end of the bed. It used to scare me a lot, I used to hide under the covers and keep my eyes glued to it. Since it was dark, my eyes used to lose it until it faded away. Sometimes the orb would be a dangling object coming down towards my face, like a spider.
Like others I have awoken to see people standing across the room, either in the dark, or with the bedside lamp still on. My boyfriend would be watching tv with the lamp on and id drift off. Then just as he switched off the lamp to sleep I would sit bolt upright screaming, looking towards the door at a sillouhetted man. My boyfriend would say I was asking 'who is that?!'
Most recently last night I awoke just after falling asleep to see a large animal moving fast beside my bed. It was dark so I could not be certain, so grabbed my phone beside me and tried to use its light to see the thing. My boyfriend awoke and asked what i was doing, but i was frantic, saying i needed to find it, there was something there. I always end up realising that there is nothing there and blaming it on anxiety or 'night terrors'. I used to sleep walk as a kid too so thought they were related.

But after reading the many posts and frightening experiences, I really do think this could be a paranormal type of thing. The sightings and 'orbs' just seem too real.

Doctors would never admit to that, however, so we just have to keep palming it off as night terrors or sleep disorders. Just thankful I am not alone in this. And I NEVER want to experience sleep paralysis, I feel for those who do.
i myself seen black hole in my bedroom floors and i was jump all over my room on stuff like the lamp table etc trying to stay off the floor because in my mind if i touch the floor i just die and i had times were people that i known were betting my door down in my bedroom telling me that they wish to kill me i even block up the door because i was scared after 4 or 5 mins later my mind fixed it self and i know it was all in my mind and soon as i open the door nothing was there so even at age 28 some night i hear things or see things that are not there praying does help some i have found but i just hope one day it will all stop till then your the first i ever told outer then family
This is what I experience! Has anyone ever been able to tell you what it is?
Hi, I agree with you, that most times these hypnagogic hallucinations are lifelong and it's all right to embrace them as part of life and just another experience. I have had the spider sensation of being twilighty between sleep and wakefulness and seen spiders on the wall causing me to snap upright in bed and scare the daylights out of my husband who's usually reading peacefully at this point in the night. I also have this recurrent feeling that people are present in the room, sometimes I will be able to describe them physically- spirits not a physical person. I shoot up bolt straight and try to turn on the light, usually arguing with my husband that someone's there and I have to turn the light on so they will go away. I wish I had the courage to face whatever is there and not reach for the lamp. From a psychological point of view it could help eliminate the recurrent dream through facing and working through it. From a spiritualist point of view- could be interesting. My husband says I will sit straight up with a jerk from a dead sleep and stare at the wall several times a night until he tells me to go back to bed. Very luckily he's a horror movie buff so this doesn't upset him much except for the initial startle.
    Besides changing diet, caffeine, exercise, influences prior to sleep, there doesn't seem to be much to do except accept the situation and come to terms with it.
I think it has to do with the way the subconscious mind works.  They are our impression acted out in front of use...that does not exclude other worldly involvement.  Saw a black mist over my wife last night..  I knew she was in an upset mood before she went to bed...  was I just seeing the negative energy or was it a "mind picture" of what I was picking up regarding her feeling.  Maybe some of us just see the world in pictures not words....
sometimes i wake up at about 3 am, i know i am awake, get out if bed, to turn the light on, because i sometimes see spiders and webs, and things crawling on the walls, sometimes see people like ghost image in room, it is kinda disturbing because i am truly awake and looking at this, so real looking, but it is all mono tone colors, the  spiders, the webs, the bugs ect, ghost all white, black gray colors, but look like almost out of a secret reality that we think is there, but that we do not know exist. then turn the light on, it all goes away. then you wonder if the things you seen are really still there or not, like in a hidden reality, or super natural unknown reality or ,,m well who knows. i have noticed that i was taking hydroxycut a few hours before i went to sleep, so this is not recommended, but i have had this happen before using hydroxycut. so be careful and know that the sub con mind is powerful, and not fully understood.  
Hi Mary -
I have had night scares as well in my past - I eventually prayed for Jesus to protect me, and He did. I became a Christian a while later and I have come to realize, though there are medical terms used to describe these phenomena, there is a spiritual aspect to them.
I hope you find "relief".
Ryan, UK
Hi my name is Billy and I been having these weried dreams when I wake up I all ways see things like bugs and ghost figures and i would rather have a cute girl my age and not a ghost figure or bug I never have any good dreams  witch I  use to till now so I just whant to every no that your not alone ever has this and really need ansers what is this called so I'm going to share one of my story's to you one night I had a dream and I was siting on on my bed and I  siting there and i couldn't get up  till to guys came up to me repeating this question now I can't figure out what they where saying but as I woke I saw a shadow of a man from the small hall way of the house he was across of my room but he dident went in my room or any room at all he did was standing in the edge between my bros room and the bathroom just staring with grin on his face with smock that blend in when it dark with no lights it was pitch black then it  after a few minutes it was gone and i have a few story's of this same problem here's a second story on night I was sleeping and I was in a dance with a few friends and I wasent  felling right my eyes was blury I can still see a little till out of no where I some how teleport to this  sliding tunnel  color strip till it reach it the end and woke up with my bulry same was when I was in my dream.but this time I couldn't see and I like great here we go again and I hered  a small person saying hey then I hered him run and slam the door after he slam the door a shock my head and I was fin ally seeing back to normal but I still deal with this till this day  
And I'm not making this up and this is no prank what so ever
I'm adult  but still a kid well that all I'm going to say her till I see a reply  or not
I am currently seeing images on the wall during the night. They are like pictures. Man in chemical suit, face of Jesus, a fist, a woman in a business suit. This is occurring every night. The last image I saw was very vivid in color and contrast.
I am not taking any night sleep aids, and am only on Wellbutrin 150xl once per morning. I am not a drinker, nor do I take any other drugs.
I have not told anyone due to the fear of being considered mentally ill.
any thoughts?
This happens to me at least 5 times a week. It started when i was a freshman in high school, and i would only see things once every couple of months..as i got older it started to aggressively get worse. Now i see spiders, people, bugs, spider webs etc. I am at the point where most of the time i wake up and realize its not real but it takes a minute or two. I absolutely hate it and it is getting so annoying. I don't know what to do or why its happening. What do you think it is or what should i do?
My experiences are a lot different. Im not sure but when i wake up from a dream im paralyzed and im not realy sure if im awake or fast asleep, i see in my wall which is right next to my bed a shadow from an entity moving its hands and i only can see its shadow on the wall how do you explain that and i see it very clearly and i cant scream only i can bearly move my arms and my head a little bit but never realy look what is behind me
Viewing 401-519 comments: