Sleep Disorders Community
Waking up every 90 minutes what so ever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Waking up every 90 minutes what so ever

Hi, for a little over a month now, I have been having this problem where I go to bed and can fall asleep relativly easely but regardless of what I do I wake up an hour and a half later, systematically.. ALWAYS 90 minutes after I fall asleep. I wake up and try to fall back asleep an average of 3-4 times every night and wake up in the worse possible shape the next morning.. I had a lot of stress in my life a month ago and wasnt sleeping enough, plus I was overworked, I know that for sure, and I think it let to what seemed like a burn-out (huge, sudden headache one day and chronic fatigue not relieved by sleep) wich caused even more stress. Then about a week later, the fragmented sleep started...

Of course the doc attribute it to stress and gave me sleeping pills, didnt work, then my family doc put me on antidepressant (trazodone), it made it worse and gave me palpiltations so I had to stop. The only thing that seems to work are Ativans, then again maybe I wake up but don't remember cause they knock you out..also they are addictive and I dont wanna have to rely on them on the long term. Anybody else experenced something similar and might have helpful advice on the topic ? Could it be a chemical imbalance, a brain damage from sleep deprivation or something? Any help would be much appreciated at this point cause this insomnia is really killing me..
Go do a sleep study. Take care of it. It will not suddenly stop making you miserable.
done. I already have an appointement in a few weeks... was just hoping to find some people who experienced something similar. Is there any way to reset the body clock without any meds?
Use this pranayam technique, to get your life back, and balance your body.After you can do anulom vilom for 15 minutes and more, you will notice better sleep and less stress. Please give your feedback over 4 months, so others may benefit.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two middle fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed. Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
While doing anulom vilom, keep your eyes closed, concentrate on the third eye (point in between the eyebrows).
Thanks for the reply.. it has been some time now and for 2-3 weeks I started sleeping almost normally... I cold do a few hours straight but I almost always had a headache and tinnitus (ears ringing) after waking up or during the day.. The only problem is that I am owrking evening shifts so sometimes I went to bed very late.. Last week-en I decided to reset my body clock and went to bed earlier, well gues what, the insomnia demon was back... ever since then and for the past week I fell right back to square one with the 90-minutes sleep pattern... I am desperate and hope it's just a temporary setback cause I can't take it anymore!

Thanks for the relaxation technique, I tried that and it helped a litte. I also did much research and found out that exrcising and eating certain food can help a lot so I changed my diet and resumed jogging regularly. I will see what it gives but it can only benefit me on the long run... The sleep study was in the plans but I have to wait for my insurance company to come back to me cause it is quite costy.

will keep you guys posted on the devloppement...
Any update on your condition? I am going through the same. I wake up every 1.5 - 2  hours each night. Sometimes I just drift back to sleep, and sometimes it is difficult to go back to sleep. I did a sleep study and they diagnosed sleep apnea. I had always slept well and was never tired or sleepy during the day, and so I have no idea as to how suddenly I have sleep apnea. The problem started for me one fine day when there was absolutely no stress in my life. I have been using CPAP and its data shows that CPAP has resolved my apnea issues, but the sleep pattern hasn't changed. This leads me to believe something else as the cause of this fragmented sleep pattern.
I am now insomnia-free for 2 years, except the occasionnal stress-insomnia or jet lag... a lot of it was caused by overstress, and the fact that I hadnt taken any vacation at work for 3 years...I read a lot about it, and stress can easily trigger insomnia, as well as mess up your internal clock... LEarning to relax, exercising, and good lifestyle changes worked for me! oh and talking about it to people who care about you was also very important ;)

Thank you all for the replies.. PS: this is kevdor, I changed username
It is May, 2014. For several months I've been dealing with the. 90 minute wake-up syndrome. It happens every night now, and sometimes it is every. 90 minutes throughout the night. I am, of course, exhausted all day long. I am seeing my GP in two days and fully expect to do a sleep study as well as have blood work done. I'm wondering if you have continued to sleep well since your last post two years go. I have no idea if you will ever see this, but thought I'd try.
Hi Jack, sorry to hear that, I can tell you for sure that after suffering from the same thing I know how afflicting it can be, I can also tell you that I have become some sort of an expert on sleep after searching for information so much. I havent had any problems since then, the fact that my schedule is now daytime helps a lot though, even though I still have a rough time waking up (not an early bird at all).

I fixed my problem by simply letting go, I stopped fighting it and "agressivly" trying to fall a nd stay asleep... the word says it all, "falling" asleep, it should come naturally.. the more you fight it, the bigger it gets in your mind. What I have learned is that 90 minutes is precisly one cycle on the sleep pattern, and that we go through multiple cycles troughout the night, wich each cycle progressivly including more and more deep sleep (REM). You usually go from one cycle to another without noticing it because you end up in light sleep in-between, but in your case and mine, you wake up becuase your internal clock is messed up. The first cycle contains little REM sleep time and therefore you repeat the same cycle over and over hence why you are so tired, just not enough deep sleep wich is also the one that causes dreams and repairs the body the most.

The clock messup is caused by overstress, plain and simple, wich is probably emphased by your constant struggle to fall asleep. it's a vicious circle and in the end all comes down to letting go and relaxing, stop thinking about it, stop looking at the time, stop fighting it, eat well and exercise as much as possible. I know it may sound easier said than done, but give yourself some time. I have read an entire book on this and searched the entire internet and in the end it all came down to that

As soon as I stopped caring about it and fighting it, I was fine within a week!

do you use any sort of medication? they can also affect the chemistry of your brain. If not, do not start using them, it will mess you up on the long run, your clock can and will get back on it's own, your body is meant to self-repair

Hope this helped, dont hesitate if you have any questions..
Hi Jack.  My name is Ann.
  I've been experiencing the same 90 minute wake cycle, too, for some time now. After searching on the web I found the absolute best website on insomnia (and I've been reading about sleep for years on-line).
  This site is exemplary is because it's like receiving free therapy,  
if you follow the program, do the 10 day tutorial, read the articles, etc. It offers a deep understanding of the mental, emotional, and physical causes, techniques, inc. CBT, etc. I'm on day 3, now.  Here is the link: http://www.insomnia-free.com/  Goodluck!
Thanks for your thread. I, too, suffer the 1.5 hr wake up cycle - and have done for some months now. I have been meaning to go to the doctor, but really don't want meds! So I decided to look online. Pleased to have found your post - and especially this update. Understanding WHAT is happening and WHY is half the battle :)