Sleep Disorders Community
Waking up every couple of hours in the night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I wake up every 1.5 - 2  hours each night. Sometimes I just drift back to sleep, and sometimes it is difficult to go back to sleep. At times, it is difficult jut falling asleep. I did a sleep study and they diagnosed moderate obstructive hypopnea and sleep apnea. I had always slept well and was never tired or sleepy during the day, and so I have no idea as to how suddenly I have sleep apnea. The problem started for me one fine day when there was absolutely no stress in my life. I have been using CPAP after the titration study, but the sleep pattern hasn't changed. This leads me to believe something else as the cause of this fragmented sleep pattern. Any ideas?
You don't mention the time frame of your problems. It can take a while to settle in to using a CPAP with a mask and for the brain to accept it enough to sleep well with it. Sometimes the brain has to relearn how to sleep, and diligence to principles of sleep hygiene, or good sleep habits, can help. However, it is best to determine if there is a residual cause of the frequent wakeups. One common cause is limb movements. Is there any mention of these on your reports? Are you on any meds that could be causing the poor sleep? It took a lot of years for me to get worn down and see the effects of the untreated sleep apnea in my daily life. I compensated well, being young and otherwise pretty healthy. But it did catch up with me - and in a big way. Even though I have other sleep issues (limb movements) and my poor sleep patterns persisted even after CPAP, just having my brain get the air it needs and my body not to be stressed with repeatedly suffocating all night, I began to improve. Since you weren't feeling the effects of your sleep apnea, maybe your journey to good sleep and better health will be soon successful.
Hi, welcome to the forum, you seem to have insomnia. Sleep maintainance problems tend to be associated with stress, anxiety, or circadian rhythm sleep disorders.

They may also be associated with sleep disorders (eg, sleep apnea, periodic limb movements), medical conditions that cause pain, psychiatric diseases (eg, anxiety, depression), or the use or withdrawal of alcohol, nicotine, or other substances.

The investigations which will help to diagnose the type and cause for insomnia are Polysomnography, Multiple sleep latency test and Actigraphy .

The therapy for this condition includes retaining of normal circadian rhythm by non-pharmacological therapy which includes; Photo therapy, maintenance of sleep hygiene. You need to go for morning exercises and work out which will make you fresh and active all day and tiredness at the end of day will help you to induce sleep naturally.

As for sleep apnea is concerned, you need to take general measures like weight loss and stop smoking (if present). Continue with selective therapies like use of Continuous positive airway pressure or Oral appliances, and drug therapy with theophyline or acetazolamide (non sleeping pills) against prescription are available.

I suggest you to consult physician. Take car and regards.
I have been using CPAP for 2 months. I was on Ambien for 3 weeks, but now I have stopped taking it. I had some Limb movement in the sleep study, but it was reported in the normal range. Even with CPAP, I wake up every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. The weird thing is that a lot of times U wake up, I feel that I have not slept at all and the only clue os the passing of time. I also feel wide awake as though I woke up at the wrong time.
I am very thin and don't smoke. I do have a lot stress from lack of sleep. I am planning to better manage my stress because right now it looks like it is a vicious cycle. Is it possible to have fragmented sleep because of some hormonal imbalances?