Sleep Disorders Community
Waking up multiple times in the middle of the night.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

This started my senior year of high school where i would wake up every 2-3 hours for no reason and fall right back asleep (I slept with the tv on for years with no bother). It became summer break and i would end up getting anywhere from 9-12 hours of sleep with no interruption. Now I'm a freshman in college and my sleep problems are back. I'll either wake up to go to the bathroom, wake up with a massive headache (I figured i can prop my head up to help this), wake up with acid reflux, or just fall right back asleep (I usually fall right back asleep after everything). I sleep in a dark room with no tv, i don't eat three hours before bed, i go to the bathroom before bed, and i usually have the same routine every night. I was wondering what i could do to help these problems.

Background: I'm a 5'11" 18 year old freshman in college. I weigh 265 lbs as of now. In high school I weigh 235. I get physical activity every day by biking and walking to classes and usually a little bit more in my ROTC lab.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But the more anxious you get, the more problems you may face with falling asleep. You should stop becoming anxious and try to relax. Try to have a warm bath before sleeping. Have a glass of milk or read a book before trying to sleep. Don’t watch TV or do exercise before sleeping. Condition yourself that you can relax and that you can sleep well.

It may help to rule out a sleep disorder. This is usually assessed by a set of questionnaires and sometimes a sleep study may be needed to diagnose. I would advise you to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.