Sleep Disorders Community
Waking up not recognising my husband.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Waking up not recognising my husband.

This might sound a little bit odd, but I sometimes wake up not recognising my husband sleeping next to me. I know I am at home, and I realise that he is someone I care about, but I start panicking about the fact that I am lying not fully clothed next to him, and that he is holding me. My brain tells me it is inappropriate that he is hugging me, and that I immediately need to get dressed. It only lasts for a minute or so, and then I calm down. It happens maybe a couple of times a year.

Is this something I should be worried about? I love my husband. I really don't understand where this comes from.
Are you on any medications or do any drugs? (please don't take offense to this question)

I have not had that exactly happen, I have woke up though, and not noticed, but at the same time noticed where I was. I think it stems from dreams, however, if you do not take any medications or do any drugs, while I doubt very very much it's something serious, you might want to see a doctor.
No i don't think you have anything to worry about. It all has to do with your unconscious and conscious mind and the transitioning in between the two, such as waking up from a dream or coming to consciousness after being knocked out. The brain is simply trying to distinguish between two different realities.
It is not that you don't love your husband or dislike waking up next to him, it is just that your brain is trying to sort out so much immediately after waking and can sometimes upset the nervous system.
I had a friend who could go hours into her day believing something that happened to her in a dream she had the night before. She has no medical issues. She found that this happened mostly after nights of deep REM sleep and heavy dreaming.
Not to worry. This is normal.

All the best,
Brittany
I am educated in