Weird Sleep Disorder
The other day we went to my grandmothers and she was asleep on the couch.  When we tried to wake her up she was  talking in her sleep and explaining to us how she was aware she was asleep, but could not wake up.  We get scared and called the EMT.  She finally woke up and was completely normal after she awoke.  It seemed like some weird sort of sleep paralysis to me, but I'm no doctor and really have know idea.  All I know is that it scared the hell out of me.  Does anybody know what could have caused this strange occurrence?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Somniloquy or sleep-talking as it popularly called occurs in about 15% of children. In this disorder the person is not aware of his actions. This does not need any therapy in children and usually resolves as the child grows.
In adults it could be associated with stress, anxiety or other sleep disorders. Sleep deprivation and stress are known to aggravate these symptoms. If the symptoms are interfering with her sleep schedules consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.