Sleep Disorders Community
What is wrong with my husband?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

What is wrong with my husband?

My husband is 22 and has night terrors at least once a month.  It happens normally about 30 minutes after he has gone to bed.  He quickly jump out of bed and run straight out the door.  once he runs into something he will immediatly begin punching it and cussing.  He will then run the opposite direction until he hits something else and the cycle repeats itself.  There is no way to get him to snap into reality!  I've tried yelling, knocking him down lol,  and even tried the calm approach of not talking to him and gently directing him back to bed.  Nothing seems to help.  He normally comes back to reality after about 5 minutes of craziness!  He is a normal non-violent guy who never cusses. Oh by the way he never remembers what happened once he gets back to reality.  He always feels very upset after wards and says it is the worst feeling ever.
My father acted like that in his sleep. He never remembered acting out either, but a few times remembered what he was dreaming and said his dream seemed real. Well, to a degree it was because he was acting it out. Maybe your husband should see a sleep neurologist and see if what they're able to do about it these days, and maybe get some advice on how to handle him during these times. One never knows when his antics will be harmful to himself or others even though he is a gentle person when awake.

Although we didn't know a name for it back then, my father had severe sleep apnea. He would snore and snort repeatedly all night. I can't help but wonder if that could have caused him to often feel under attack in his sleep.
Hi Isaac Mommy799, how is your husband doing? He may be probably having night terror with sleepwalking which occurs during deep sleep, usually early in the night where a person appears to be awake but is not. Sleepwalkers usually don’t remember their actions, may be difficult to awaken, and usually feel confused or disoriented upon being awakened. Sleepwalking can be dangerous, as the sleepwalker is unaware of environment and can injure self by falling or bumping into things. Sleepwalking seems to run in families and may also be provoked by sleep deprivation. Morning-evening walk, casual stretches, nutritious diet with lot of water or other liquids, hot shower and listening to soft music before going to bed can be soothing to mind and body so it may be of some help. Practicing good sleep hygiene often helps to resolve sleepwalking and relaxation therapy and/or medications can also be tried with consultation of a sleep specialist and a neurologist.