Sleep Disorders Community
What's going on?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

What's going on?

I woke up one morning and I was covered with thick black spiders. They were crawling all over me and my bed.I quickly started brushing them off of me and jumped out of bed. I stood there near my bedside and they were still there.After about ten to fifteen seconds they started fading away. At that point I realized that they were not real so I tried to keep seeing them longer but within another five seconds or so they were gone. I stayed out of bed from that point on so I know I was 'awake' when I was seeing them. Another time there was red beads all over me and my bed. Another time I saw a friend of mine looking down at me through my ceiling. When I first saw him I was just opening my eyes and closed them and opened them again because I saw him. Then I kept blinking to get it to go away and he was still there. Then I closed my eyes for a few seconds longer and he was gone. So I got up and went about my day. I made an appointment with mental health. I never really got an answer of why this was happening. I never thought that when I came to this website that I would even see one other person that has experienced this. I guess I was wrong. I for one don't mind being freaked out but I still wonder what is going on. I also experience lucid dreaming and other types of dreaming. Sometimes my dreams seem to come true as if some sort of psycic phenomenom.
I have almost the same experience.. I've seen my nephew at night when I was a child, but his face was defaced with an evil smile (He was standing staring at me from behind a wall along with other 2 little girls, also defaced.. And if I'm not wrong, they were wearing red). But before I saw him in the dark in my mother's room, it started with a dream, and for me, 99% of the time I see those things, it starts with a dream, a nightmare. I would woke up from the dream and see things, and they would fade away slowly after a while. I'm 20 years old student, male, and I've been seeing those things for more than 12 years now.

*I slept in my mother's room that night because other unusual things happened to me that night in my room. In other words, it was a nightmare in real life.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

During sleep, the body cycles between non-REM and REM sleep. Typically, people begin the sleep cycle with a period of non-REM sleep followed by a very short period of REM sleep. Dreams generally occur in the REM stage of sleep.

A lot of studies are going on to study the importance of REM sleep, which is the dream phase of sleep. Psychologists generally agree that achieving the dream state of sleep is a critical element for maintaining good mental health. Conversely, depriving ones self from dreaming can cause a number of adverse health problems, including fatigue, reduced immune system efficiency, heart disease and mental health issues including delusions and severe cognitive reasoning deficits.

Disorders related to dreaming could occur with REM sleep behavior disorders. Here the person acts out the dreams. This is diagnosed with a sleep study. Please consult your primary care physician if problem persists.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.