Sleep Disorders Community
Which is Essential, low Fragmentation, low AHI, or high O2?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

what are the most important variables in sleep health, low sleep fragmentation, low AHI or high oxygen levels?
I noticed my health became much worse as my O2 went down from 92 to 75, but the low AHIs don't seem to mean much in terms of feeling good the next day if my sleep is fragmented and I don't get enough therapy
I also have been using settings of IPAP/EPAP that are 4cm apart like 15/11 but I found that I got the lowest fragmentation when I used a 16/12 setting but the machine data on Encore said that I had an average IPAP/EPAP of 11/8
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Low AHIs will usually indicate good oxygen saturation, unless there is an underlying lung disease which causes the low saturation levels in spite of low AHIs. The final aim is to have good oxygen saturation levels and sound sleep. Sometimes it may need supplemental oxygen therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
thanks very much!  I'm still suffering with headaches and hypopneas/central apnea.  I still have bad brain fog and exhaustion
I sleep better with lower pressure around 12/8- I was prescribed 18/14 by the lab but I always wake up after 1-2 hours on that pressure.  I also feel better on the lower pressure.

can an auto cpap really treat centrals/hypopnea?  or is the bipapst the best for centrals?  thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Central sleep apneas are caused due disorders or lesions in the brain. The peripheral system does not get the right impulses for respiration and hence the stoppage of respiration. As a result the person is aroused from sleep. For central apneas therapy is by treating the underlying cause and again SV BiPAP, could also be effective as it is pressure support ventilation. With improvement in oxygenation the other symptoms may resolve.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I'm finding that sleep medications and the bipap help like zolpidem and restoril, but I'm still wheezing after 4 antibiotics and prednisone
I read that on DTI MRI people with sleep apnea have brain damage or lesions in the brain