Sleep Disorders Community
While sleeping I get my mouth full of saliva and it starts driping. Wha...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

While sleeping I get my mouth full of saliva and it starts driping. What causes this? John Farooqui, London

for quite some time now , when ever I wake up in the  morning I have a full mouth of saliva?   any idea  what it is
Hi hricks36, how are you doing? Since when you have noticed this excessive salivation during sleep and do the same happen in daytime? Have you consulted your family doctor or a dental surgeon and have received any kind of treatment. Common causes are bad oral hygiene, inflammation of oral mucosa, respiratory tract infection, sinus infection, sleep apnea etc. Here are links to know more on the symptoms and treatment aspect, which you might be interested in:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/excessive-saliva/AN01744
http://medical.justanswer.com/sleep/xfbf-just-recently-excessive-drooling
Do consult your family physician for proper care and referral. Take care and share your thoughts.
No  during the day time I am fine . I do wear denture with  made from the old mercury mixture .   This doesn't happens at all time during the  night. For example  I notice when I eat 3-5hrs before bed time I do fine  and sleep like a baby. When I eat  minute before bed time   then I wake up one during the middle of the night .
same problem with me, i brush my teeth twice a day. but when i wake up i cant have a lie in due to the fact that every 2 mins my mouth gets full of bad saliva, sometimes brown mostly ordinary saliva. i have to spit every 2 mins or so otherwise my mouth gets full. therefore i can never have a lie in, whenever i wake up - thats it i have to get up. so annoyin, been happening for about a year now.
@ hacker12345
I've same problem. My saliva is always normal though and some times it doesn't even happen.
Please suggest a solution.
Since this happens only when you eat shortly before bed, my guess is that you have acid reflux during the night.  It's pretty common but can lead to serious problems down the line if left untreated.  My husband has severe acid reflux and the same thing happens to him if he eats anything more than two hours before bed.  If it still happens even if you don't eat before going to sleep, have a chat with your doctor.  There are plenty of meds available to treat GERD.
hi, I have had the same problem for years now. and actually spoke to my dentist about it. to which she didn't have a clue. I was told by non-med sources that it's caused by bad lever. and as a treatment, I was recommended the use of black cloves and garlic in my food as a herbal alternative; cooked food that is. It definitely made a difference. I find less and less stains on my pillow now. good luck.
Hi. I Have the same problem. Its happened to me for almost 30 years now. I wake up every now and then to spit and the saliva is sooo bitter, thick and stinky. Sometimes if am asleep facing up, i swallow the saliva by accident and it gives me an instant severe stomach-ache.

Even if i take a nap for 3 minutes during the day, say while traveling, that's enough to accumulate stinky, thick saliva, as long as i really go to sleep. I too have talked to several dentists and other doctors and they have no clue.
i have the same condition with you.... when i wake up my mouth is like a balloon not full with air but with saliva.... :/
i am suffring wid same problen when ever i sleep and wake up then my mouth is full of saliva :( this is happening from last 3 years. Plz suggest me any thing ?
I have the sticky saliva, not watery.  I wake up because I feel like I'm about to choke to death.  It's very scary.  I've had this problem for about 20 year.  It only happens at night, and only once in a while.  

I don't think it's reflux, because I thought reflux is painful.  I also don't feel this is coming up from my stomach, but more being produced at the back roof of my mouth.  At least that's the feeling I get.  

One other thing I noticed is I can't swallow this stuff.  It's way too thick.  I wish I could swallow it as the alternative is that I have to have lots of old t-shirts kept handy, so that if I'm having a "saliva" night, then I just reach for a tshirt.  

Last night was a bad night, I went through 3 t-shirts.  Most times I can get away with two or three episodes of waking up and spitting, just need 1 t-shirt for that.  

I think this condition started happening to me when I was 30, and I started using a night-gaurd (one made specifically by the dentist).  Before this time I never had a problem.  I thought maybe the problem was due to the nightguard, but it happens whether I wear it or not.  

I do have a lot of mercury fillings.  I wish I knew whether or not the mercury is truly the problem, because I would gladly pay to have them all removed and swapped for porcelain (whatever).  I also wonder if I have tonsil problems, because I seriously can't swallow this stuff.  I mean, why is that?  It just doesn't go down all the way and then I'm left gagging and choking.

Okay, so my husband is very understanding, but this is so disgusting to go through.  I'm just wondering if when I'm in the nursing home, I'm gonna wake up gagging and actually choke to death on my own saliva.  Seriously, I'm not joking.  It's very scary.

Once I have some money, I will check with a mouth doctor, but I'm not holding out hope that he'll know what's up.  I just want to be sure I don't have some other problem.  Oh, my dentist had no idea what I was talking about when I discussed my problem with saliva-at-night.  In fact, he looked bewildered at my description.  

Anyway, I'm so glad I'm not the only one; but I still feel mine is a little different than everyone else's.  That is, most don't describe the thickness and chocking to death feeling.

I have the same problem as you just mentioned above....my saliva is sooo thick that I cannot swallow it either...Some pplon here have mentioned theres is watery, mine is too thick to be watery, I just woke up because it just happened to me for the second time ever, and it has been the last 2nights in a row this has happened....all night I swallow my saliva as normal in my sleep except this stuff I cannot swallow. Theres no discoloration to it, and I wake up feeling like I am choking to death. No fun at all. It only happened the once last night but it is only 12:45am tonight and it has already happened. I just took a 150mg ranitidine hydrochloride tablet (heartburn pill) so I will see if this makes a difference. I don't have heartburn but I am sure this is coming from my stomach, so its time to start trouble shooting lol...will post 2moro if it helps or not.....I really don't wanna start sleeping with a small bucket by my bed, but if this keeps up I am gonna have to...I am a 33 year old male...6 feet tall 220lbs,
Hey guys, I also had this problem. This happens due to bad oral hygiene and also somewhat strategics with the weight. I'll recommend you to eat clean, Exercise and always brush whenever possible. I have found out this solutions had helped me and I hope it may help you too!!