Sleep Disorders Community
Why am I still so sleepy even w/CPAP mask?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea about 3 yrs. ago...after getting the CPAP machine still felt sleepy to the point of going home during lunch to take a nap because couldn't function...went for 2nd sleep study in summer and they increased the ramp on machine and still am very sleepy during day.  These dr's don't know and just keep prescribing pills like Provigil to stay awake but got off of them because felt terrible.  I also take antidepressants and blood pressure meds...I'm planning on getting married and my future fiance has no clue what's going on.....I know I need to lose 25 lbs....but between the side effects of antidepressants and sleep apnea I can't get myself going after work....problem is if I didn't have to work...I'd take naps as needed and would be fine, but that's not reality.
weight loss would help.  talk to your doctors, if it's still not working they can do more for you...
Hi, anitidepressants and blood pressure meds made me tired too.  I also use a CPAP.  Have you had blood and urine routine tests lately?  Maybe you need iron or are diabetic.  good luck.
sickof beinfat is right, there are other reasons to be tired other than sleep apnea.  it's worth going to see if these other reasons can be fixed.
Have you been tested for narcolepsy? This is a daytime sleep test. I have a friend who did not get better using the CPAP either. He had no idea he had narcolepsy until he was finally tested.  Good luck.
Have you been to an internist? Why are you on antidepressants? Have you researched the side effects of all the meds you are taking.  Some people here are reporting that many doctors are clueless or are ignoring the reported side effects of the psychiatric medications they are prescribing their patients.  
I have sleep apnea and wear a mask and I also take antidepressents.  But my new doc is switching my meds around.  Some of my new ones can work for the same thing as my old ones and some of the old antidepressents CAN make you gain weight.  Also if you're still tired during the day, your mask may be slipping or moving during the night.  Sometimes I wake up and I have taken mine totally off.  Be sure and check the side affects of your meds.  Good luck.
Has your doctor ever considered that you also have central sleep apnea as well as obstructive? Central sleep apnea is where you do not even initiate a breath-basically the brain says no. This requires a different positive pressure unit, for example, one with a back rate, an inhaled pressure and a lower exhale pressure. Perhaps you are treating only half of your problem. A new technology uses a CPAP machine with pressure support to address the central apneas at a cost similar to a regular CPAP. One example of this is the Resmed Adapt SV. The other thought, maybe you are at the wrong pressure. Suggest another sleep study.
Wow, I think that I need the C-Pap that the above poster mentioned.  I still suffer and gain min. of 6 lbs everytime my pressure # goes up.  Anyway , to wermy, Provigil is supposed to keep you awake, is it time to raise the dose?  Do you still snore or sleep with your mouth open.  You can tell by the drool mark on the pillow, the dry throat in the morning, the bitter taste in your mouth when you wake up, the feeling of high blood pressure in   AM which causes a dull to moderate headache that may worsen during the day till the nighttime. I still have all that even if I where a chin strap-it won't stay in place and I get a raised rash from the material.  I've been told that I did anothe study done for a bi-pap (?) but I don't have insuranse at this time to cover the expense.  Talk to your sleep study specialist until something gets better!  Best wishes for a good night sleep... I feel your fatigue....
I was told by the respiratory therapist who set me up with my BiPAP that if you wash your mask with the same soap you use for your tubing, etc, you wil get a rash. Are you using face soap on your mask? That's what they told me to use.

Penn
I don't get a rash from my cpap, I get it from the seperate black fabric chin strap. Thanks for the soap info though.
Can your c-pap machine give you a pink rash on your lower chest? Does anyone know?
Are you still having problems?

1. You say you need to lose weight. I would recommend you elevate the head of your bed to ease your breathing until you lose that weight.

2. It can be likely that your pressure is too low and therefore you are not benefiting from the CPAP pressure. When we sleep our body relaxes to the point where our upper airway may obstruct ESPECIALLY when we go on our back AND when we dream (for some). Find out from your sleep lab if you SLEPT ON YOUR BACK IN REM (dream state) ON THE PRESSURE THAT YOUR CPAP MACHINE WAS ORDERED OUT AT. This is critical, for the reasons mentioned above.

3. Do you have central sleep apnea? This is miscomunication between your brain and respiratory system in which no breathing effort/movement is seen from nose/mouth, chest and abdomen. This can be caused by heart issues  such as congestive heart failure, drugs, or head injura. Central sleep apnea cannot be corrected with CPAP. BiPAP or ASV is more common depending on the type of central apnea.  (obstructive sleep apnea is obstruction in upper airway [neck area] which obstructs airflow out of nose/mouth but with effort in chest and abdomen).

Lots of info there but I hope it helps. Its been years since your post, I hope you have been taken care of.