Sleep Disorders Community
Why does it hurts when i wake up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Why does it hurts when i wake up

Hello. From time to time, for no reason, i'm in real pain for a few minutes when i wake up in the morning. The trouble is that i dont know how to describe the pain since it does not feel physical. I'll explain: the pain comes from the region of my head and feel like this region is getting squeezed, but it is not a headache. I have plenty of those and it doesnt feel like this at all. It almost feel like the pain is psychological because i'm unable to locate the exact source of the pain.

I think i should mention that I have some mild case of insomnia, sleep apnea and since about a year what i believe to be night terrors. I wake up from time to time during the night convinced that there are serpents in my bed or that the snow plow is actually gonna hit the house (among other things) and actually crawl into a corner in my room in an almost fetal position. This last for a good 5-10 minutes till i come back to my senses and go back to bed. Once i even "saw" a kid standing near my bed and the only reflex i had was to throw a punch in it's general direction (would be kinda scary if there where kids in my house that i could accidently punch while sleeping). Since then, i warned everyone in my house to never put their head near my face when trying to wake me up.

I should also add that it take about 1-2 hours before i manage to fall asleep and that even though i fall asleep around 22h00, i would still be tired around 12h00. I wake up about 10 times a night.I'm 22, I drink about half a cup of cofee per week, i dont drink cola and dont eat chocolate. I do about 40-60 minutes of stationnary bike per day. I dont smoke or do drugs and i drink about 6-10 beers per week

So if anyone has any advice on any of my sleep related problems please share them with me. Thanks
Whoa, this kinda sounds like me. I was searching why my head hurts in the morning sometimes, and it could be because i slept too much (It is Sunday, so, yeah) or sinuses or i didn't drink enough or my room is "stuffy", but i was diagnosed with Anxiety this year and possibly other things, and i swear that i've thought i've seen people in the middle of the night. The last time i was scared at night was this summer, but it was the most scared i think i've ever felt. Well, it's been 2 years since you posted this, but, all i can say is to see a psychologist if this keeps happening.