Sleep Disorders Community
Zoloft for Insomnia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Zoloft for Insomnia

I have very bad insomnia, worse in the holidays. In Decemeber last year I went to the doctor. I was given sleeping tablets first, but they did not seem to help (they felt like painkillers for me, they made it easier for me to do work because my head and eyes would hurt less so I sometimes took them during the day time. One type made me very alert so i would not lie down the whole night so I stopped taking them all). Now I am taking 150mg Zoloft and 5mg Valium. I have taken this for about 6 months. I still have difficulty sleeping but the zoloft makes me feel much more positive about it all and I accept that I can't function as well as I used to. The problem i am having is greatly decreased appetite. I went to the doctor a few months after starting this combination and they said it probably is not due to the meds and to keep taking it. I am 23 years old, 5'6 and 108 pound so I am ok now but I can see that I am not eating very much because I am never hungry. I dont know if this combination of meds is really the right thing for insomnia. Is there any other combination (other than sleeping tablets alone) that is excellent for insomnia? I feel desperate for relief. My doctor has now moved interstate and I dont know if it is worth making an appointment with someone new to try to find a better medication combination or whether to accept that this may be as good as it gets. Thankyou

How are you doing?
A decrease in appetite or anorexia may be associated with the use of Zoloft. The combination of Zoloft and valium is usually well tolerated. It seems that you might be suffering from some kind of depressive disorder, which might be leading to insomnia. Hence, you should consult your doctor for your symptoms and if he would consider any change in combination for you.

Insomnia is usually a disorder seen in the elderly and many a times has some underlying cause like medical problems, neurologic problems, stress, depression, anxiety, medications and poor sleep hygiene.

I would advise you consult your physician or a psychiatrist for a complete evaluation. It is important to detect the underlying cause of insomnia and rule out any medical or psychological cause. He might prescribe some anti-depressants or mood elevators or advise a sleep study (polysomnogram). Sometimes cognitive behavioral therapies are also helpful.

You should practice good sleep hygiene such as a warm bath each night before bed, keeping your bedroom dark and cool, avoid going to bed unless you are sleepy, avoid caffeine, alcohol and tobacco, avoid any naps in between or watching TV in bedroom. You should get out of bed if not getting sleep and then again trying after sometime.

All these would surely help restore your sleep cycle and make you feel better. If you need any further information, do write in.

Regards