Sleep Disorders Community
ambien

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

ambien

can ambien cause weight gain and how long can you saftly stay on  it?
Hi.

Thanks for writing in.

Ambien is zolpidem, a sedative-hypnotic prescription medication approved only for the short-term treatment of insomnia as well as for some other brain disorders.

Some patients have experienced weigh gain and sleep walking, while on treatment with ambient. The other common side effects of Ambien are headache, dizziness, mental clouding, daytime drowsiness and allergies. Hence, it is advised you visit your doctor if you are experiencing any such side effects.

The drug is considered safe for a period of two to maximum six weeks for the treatment of insomnia. If taken for a longer duration, one may develop dependence on ambien. You should discuss with your doctor about the risks of taking ambient for 2 weeks or longer.

Regards

Hello stacey555,

Yes, Ambien can cause weight gain. But if the weight gain is persistent then you need to be off the drug.

Best
I have been taking ambien for almost 2 years on and off the doc keeps giving it to me cause I cant sleep I am seeing a specialist soon to try and figure out why Im not sleeping I think it is a pituitary issue.  I can only go so many days without sleeping then I have to take something.  I asked about the weight gain cause I heard it slows down your metabolism.