Sleep Disorders Community
bloating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

bloating

I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP.  I've noticed that in the morning when I wake up that I'm very bloated.  Is it possible that I'm swallowing air from the CPAP?  It's not gas.  Also, I'm still soooooooooo tired when I wake up.
Sounds like you are getting air in the stomach from the machine. It happens when the sphincter that should keep the stomach closed is weak, particularly in those who have reflux problems. It is also common in those with higher pressures. There are machines and settings for those with higher pressures to help out, particularly with exhalation relief.

About the tiredness... Are you using a full face mask? If not, and you are mouth breathing, your treatment will go out your mouth and do you no good. Also, if your pressure setting is not right for you, you could still be having apneas. You could ask your sleep doctor about a test for a couple weeks on a machine that records data at home (if you don't already own one).

Maybe you could get some ideas to help yourself from some of the sleep sites or cpap forums. One I've found helpful is cpaptalk. Do talk to your doctor - why go thru this if it's not therapeutic? They may have to do some tweaking.

I have an appt on the 17th of this month.  You wouldn't have any ideas on how to relieve the air in my stomach?  I tried some OTC meds, but they don't seem to work for this.
HI snootynan, how are you doing? Are you able to get sleep with the use of CPAP and since when you are using this machine? Are you suffering from dyspepsia? I think the bloating sensation you are feeling is due to gulping of more air with the cpap than otherwise. Hope this link may be of some help to you: http://seniorhealth.about.com/cs/digestivetract/a/gas_cause_3.htm
Try to avoid spicy junk foods and aerated drinks. You may take antiflatulants and antacids. Consult your doctor who can examine you. Also consult a gastroenterologist to rule out any cause from his end. Take care and keep updating.