Sleep Disorders Community
can you also have apnea throughout the waking hours

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

i have sleep apnea but is it possible to have it while awake because i have noticed that i catch myself forgetting to breathe off and on all the time while sitting watching tv or surfing the web or laying and relaxing i dont gasp for breathe i just notice a feeling of pressure going upwards to my head and it will make my headache throb worse and i realize hey i just forgot to breathe and how can you tell if your apnea is obstructive or central
Hi, your symptoms are suggestive of sleep apnea. From your history it suggests that you are having Sleep-disordered breathing. It is important to rule out type of sleep apnea like Obstructive apnea, Central apnea and mixed apnea. You need to undergo tests to rule out the type of apnea.

The possibilities for such condition are Medical, neurological, or dental conditions that reduce upper airway size, is known to cause sleep apnea.  Esp. in cases of obesity or recent weight gain can cause laxity of tissues of airway leading to development of sound during breathing.

You need to undergo certain tests like polysomnyography (PSG) which will monitor the sleep and will evaluate the breathing patterns. Chest radiography, electrocardiography, and echocardiography is also important to rule out underlying cardiac or pulmonary causes.

Initial measures include avoidance of allergen exposure if present, weight reduction if obese, nutritional diet, regular exercise, Supplemental oxygen, Corticosteroids and Antibiotic therapy if infection is present.

I suggest you to consult sleep specialist. Take care and regards.