Sleep Disorders Community
cant open eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

cant open eyes

Every so often in the morning i cant open my eyes. it feels like im awake but i cannot open my eyes. I am scared to sleep and i wake up crying sometimes. Helpp :(
What else is going on in your life?  Are you consuming any thing that can damage your body or mind?   Live a healthy life style.

As to are you awake?  Since you remember the eye open problem, if not awake you are having a vivid dream. Do you think you can remember to try something next time that happens?  I mean remember when you are in the can't open eye state.  Can you see anything, i.e., do you see yourself as knowing you are asleep and conscious/seeing, but can't open your eyes, or are you "blind", see nothing.  If you see something I'll guess you are dreaming and dreaming you can't open your eyes.  If you see an environment, look at its detail, does it have detail: texture, color, shape, and doesn't change when you look away, then look back.  If it fails any of these tests you are dreaming.

When I was much younger than you are now, I'm talking about a long time ago but I still remember, I had problems with nightmares.  They always had a common place of action, so I trained myself whenever I was in such a place, a dark alley say, I'd try to open my eyes real wide, not just open, but open wider.. and sure enough after a while of practicing I started opening my eyes before the nightmare had a chance to really take off.  The "take away".. I suggest you practice opening your eyes real wide while awake, do it often but no so much people around you wonder.  You may get so good at opening your eyes that when you wake up from a sleep but can't open you eyes, they will open because you have practiced and you believe you can.

Good luck,
I'd say sleep paralysis is very normal and I know some people suffering from it pretty often. If it is a dream like Jerry, above, asked, then it is not that much of a problem, you can check some sleep-lucid dreaming forums to take control of it- but I don't think it would happen so often if it was.

So maybe if you have a smart phone, or android you can download sleep tracking apps to see if you wake up in the middle of your REM cycle. Track yourself a couple of times and compare the graphs- then you can re-arrange your sleeping-waking times according to it. Also it means you can keep track of how you slept and what affected you, etc, during your sleep.