Sleep Disorders Community
cant sleep at night!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

cant sleep at night!

Just curious if I could have insomnia. I can't sleep at night no matter how tired I am. I will be so sleepy, but my mind keeps racing with random thoughts. I am constantly looking at the clock, counting down the hours before I have to be up. Now if I have the opportunity to sleep during the day it will happen. During the day I can fall asleep and stay asleep with out any problems. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
  • insomnia (2 replies):
    havin major problems sleeping
  • Excited, Cant Sleep? (1 replies):
    When Im looking forward to something, and understand tha...[more]
  • sleeping less (3 replies):
    okay so i'm 17 and i haven't been able to sleep at night...[more]
  • insomnea (3 replies):
    If it takes me half an hour to an hour to actualy fall a...[more]
  • Don't Sleep (3 replies):
    Can anyone give me ideas as to how to get to sleep. I ha...[more]
Hi, welcome to the forum, your history suggests that you have milder form of sleep disorder hence we cannot put you into particular medical condition. There is a delayed onset of sleep and due to committed work, stress, unusual happenings make you anxious and it will keep you awake and will lead to delayed onset of sleep.

Once you sleep, your sleep architecture seems to be fine i.e. stages of sleep. You do not need any major therapeutic interventions for your condition. This is common when there is a disturbance in normal sleep pattern.

The therapy for this condition includes retaining of normal circadian rhythm by non-pharmacological therapy which includes; Photo therapy, maintenance of sleep hygiene. You need to go for morning exercises and work out which will make you fresh and active all day and tiredness at the end of day will help you to induce sleep naturally.

Pharmacological therapy includes short course of appropriate sedatives and Hypnotics against prescription. Non-benzodiazepines are effective in delayed onset sleep disorder and help to initiate the sleep.

I suggest you to consult physician. Take car and regards.

I have the same problem as the person who asked the question. But I cant even go to sleep during the day. I just cant. I dont know why.