Sleep Disorders Community
chronic insommnia/12 steps/medication/faith

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I am looking for others who have seriously difficult chronic insommnia and who struggle with trying not to use medication and who use either or both the 12 steps/and/or faith to help cope.

This discussion is related to Alternatives to benzodiazepines and ambien.
I suffered insomnia 30 years. It became so severe that I was losing short term memory and my health was seriously affected. I was a semi-comatos toxic waste dump.

I don't know if this will work for you, but it was iodine that turned me around. You can try a smalll supplemental dose which would be two or three drops a week of 5 per cent Lugol's solution (taken on separate days), or three drops of Atomidine taken daily. If you sleep improves even slightly this may be a clue to your problem. If the iodine helps see a specialist and get yourself tested.

By the way there is no harm in taking such small amounts of iodine and many use it for general health. I take a little more than that because my problem has been identified.
Thanks for the iodine suggestion; I will try it.
Have you had a sleep study to attempt to determine if your insomnia might be secondary to another sleep disorder? I used to have insomnia, and it was only in retrospect I realized my insomnia was a survival mechanism. My sleep was not just miserable due to limb movements, it was dangerous due to severe obstructive sleep apnea. Once these things were treated, I still had some issues breaking bad patterns, but my insomnia did over time resolve. I had to be diligent to good sleep hygiene practices, assess my meds as some were known sleep disrupters, and be committted to pursuing sleep without excuse. While I did not use a 12 steps program, some of their principles are helpful in most any situation. Books like Sound Sleep/Sound Mind might be helpful for you. Over 15 years of sleep deprivation, yeah, I drew upon my faith to keep going, but it wasn't a specific formula or program.  Have you seen a Sleep Behavioral Therapist or tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? Best wishes in finding sleep.
When poor sleep is due to sleep apnea, it is not so much insomnia, but interrupted sleep. Both deprive you of healthful sleep.
Hi, welcome to the forum, you seem to have chronic insomnia. In young to middle aged individuals, sleep maintenance problems tend to be associated with stress, anxiety, or circadian rhythm sleep disorders.

They may also be associated with sleep disorders (eg, sleep apnea, periodic limb movements), medical conditions that cause pain, psychiatric diseases (eg, anxiety, depression), or the use or withdrawal of alcohol, nicotine, or other substances.

The investigations which will help to diagnose the type and cause for insomnia are Polysomnography, Multiple sleep latency test and Actigraphy.

The therapy for this condition includes retaining of normal circadian rhythm by non-pharmacological therapy which includes; Photo therapy, maintenance of sleep hygiene. Also short term course of benzodiazepines against prescription will also help.

You need to go for morning exercises which will make you fresh and active all day and tiredness at the end of day will help you to induce sleep naturally. Yoga and meditation can also help to eliminate stress and create a more peaceful sleeping atmosphere and provides a relaxed state of mind. You can share your feelings with some one close, warm water bath before sleep, warm milk in night, comfortable bed, mild music, reading books, fragrance in room will help you in getting sleep in night. Avoid day sleep.

I suggest you to consult sleep specialist. Take care and regards.
I would suggest that you get tested for toxic metals. It's expensive to get into, but if you want to be healthy, it's something you need to do. I also have this problem and I suspect that toxicity may have caused some tissue damage.