Sleep Disorders Community
felt as if electrocuted

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

felt as if electrocuted

Last night, I felt as if I had been electrocuted during sleep.  I remember opening my eyes and thinking that I was going to be blind.  I even thought I heard a snapping sound which woke me.  What is an explanation for this?
I am glad to help you out.
Tachy means rapid or fast and cardia depicts heart. Hence, a rapid heart rate is known as tachycardia. This can occur as a normal response to exercise or feelings of anxiety & fear. However, it can also occur due to a disturbed rhythm of the heart. Usually, further tests like holter monitoring & echocardiography are done to find out the underlying cause.

From the description of your symptoms, other possibilities like neurological causes are also possible. An MRI of the brain helps in the diagnosis.
A consultation with a neurologist and a cardiologist should help in reaching a conclusive diagnosis as an online diagnosis is not possible.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Read more: Neurological Disorders Forum - felt like head had been violently shaken? http://ehealthforum.com/health/felt-like-head-had-been-violently-shaken-t321790.html#ixzz274f00aCP
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In the initial phases of the sleep cycle and while awakening, we tend to be more conscious or alert. If we study the brain waves at these phases they tend to show the alert wave pattern, this could cause the awareness to sounds. If it is not interfering with your sleep schedules you don't have to worry. If it persists or is troublesome consult your doctor for assessment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
i had the exact same thing happen to me last night.  I was dead asleep at like 3 or 4 in the morning and was jolted awake by what i thought was electricity.  Scared the crap out of me.  I used my phone to search around the bed for sources of electricity; to find nothing amiss.  I have been seeing my doctor; my hands and feet have been numb for a month now.  sometimes it feels like pins and needles, but more of a numbing sensation.  help pls!  this has freaked my freak!