have chronic insomnia
I have been on and off trazodone 50 mg per night.  It hasn't worked so I have gotten off it and tried over the counter sleep aids with little results.  Now I want to go back to trazodone but will probably have to bump the dosage to 100 mg since I was off of it... I don't know what to do anymore.  Have horrible migraines throughout the day and sometimes at night which makes me stay up and toss and turn.  Nothing seems to be working and I awake every morning more and more tired.  
What kind of insomnia do you have? Did you go to a sleep clinic to diagnose it? It's crucial to understand the cause!! Do you wake up too early or too often? or you go to bed late? Plus: don't forget that caffeine (and teine too) can stay in your body for two days and bother your sleep. And sugar can give you bad awakenings.
Tell us more so we can help!
Amethist56

How are you? If your medication is not working, it is best that you inform your doctor for proper management. Your medical history is essential in properly evaluating the underlying cause. Long term insomnia is usually associated with psychological or medical conditions. Treatment will depend on the cause.  

Take care and do keep us posted.