Sleep Disorders Community
headaches with sleep apnea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

headaches with sleep apnea

my sleep apnea is getting worse, now I have headaches when I don't use bipap and my oxygen on the sleep study was 70%, it's hard to adjust to the bipap machine
I really want to get tonsil surgery- did it help anyone here?
does anyone else take medication or specific vitamins because of sleep apnea?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing fine.

The upper airway that is at the region of the tongue and the soft palate is the most compliant (soft) part. So, this is liable to collapse and cause airway obstruction in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Anatomical factors (structure) like enlarged tonsils, volume of the tongue, lengthy soft palate or abnormal positing of the maxilla and mandible can further narrow the lumen. So, correction of enlarged tonsils can help open up the lumen. But medications or vitamins may not help with Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks very much!  Can anything be done for central apnea?  Are there any side effects for the surgery?  it seems that sleep apnea causes inflammation and blood disorders
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

For central apneas therapy is by treating the underlying cause and again SV BiPAP, could also be effective as it is pressure support ventilation. With improvement in oxygenation the other symptoms may resolve. Apneas can disturb the sleep architecture and cause fatigue, headaches and daytime sleepiness. These people are also more prone for Hypertension. Tonsillectomy may not have any side effects.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks very much!!  I still don't feel I am sleeping deeply on Bipap and need to use a 45 minute ramp and wake up several times in the middle of the night.  I had some hypertension, ds- so I am going to have to use Bipap for life?  I read that central apneas are caused by brain lesions so maybe there is no way to cure that?  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Central sleep apneas are caused due disorders or lesions in the brain. The peripheral system does not get the right impulses for respiration and hence the stoppage of respiration. As a result the person is aroused from sleep. It may help to trace the reason for central apneas also. Also SV BiPAP with supplemental oxygen may help with oxygen saturation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
How often must you be assessed after being diagnoses with Sleep Apnea?  I have a CPAP machine and I have not had a sleep study in over 2 years.  I have had a CPAP machine for probably about 6-7 years now.  I assume it is working fine- but how would I know.  I was wondering how often I should be getting  assessed.  My primary doctor has not followed up on this with me- I rarely go to my PCP-unless I have a problematic cold or something.  Any feedback would be welcomed.  Also-I am trying to get pregnant.  Will sleep apnea effect a pregnancy?  I have looked but there is no literature.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As long as you are sleeping well and you do not have any other problems with the machine, you need not worry. It would imply you are getting adequate therapy. Obstructive sleep apnea will not affect pregnancy, however it would help to have a sleep study done for a reassessment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.