Sleep Disorders Community
headbouncing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

headbouncing

I have bounced my head to fall a sleep ever since i was 9 months old.My family asked the doc what it was from,but all they came up with is, that it could be that it was my way of getting rid of headachs as a baby. and that i would grow out of it.As i got older I too thought about how this would effect my life as  an adult.I tired every thing to stop.my family tired to pay me to stop ,ground me ,yell and nothing worked.I did however get to where i would bounce or kick my foot in place of bouncing my head.I am Now 28 and i still have to kick my feet to sleep.No doctor has been able to tell me why.As far as effecting my relationship,its funny it has gotten to where if i dont kick my feet my husband will end up kicking his to go to sleep.He just got  so used to the rocking of it and when my knees hurt and i cant kick he will and i just wiggle my feet. Is there an answer for this.. i have looked all my life,can any one help?
Hello.

Firstly, the rocking or bouncing movement provides a rhythmic stimulation to the brains sleep wake system (reticular activating system ). This sends signals to the sleep centers in the brain and we fall asleep. That's the reason we pat small kids and they fall asleep.

It is not a way of fighting any headache.

Have you considered restless legs syndrome ?

Regards
I have read  people say their story is like yours, but mine is EXACTLY the same. I bounce my head, laying on my tummy to fall asleep. If I am laying with my hubby I bounce my foot....That is so crazy to hear a similar sitiation! How can we stop?....He says I look like a mental patient when I bounce my head!! It could be lol...
I have the same problem, its called RMD (Rhythmic Movement Disorder)