Sleep Disorders Community
how many times do you wake up a night?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

how many times do you wake up a night?

I was wondering how many times others wake up during the night. Usually I wake up at least 2-3 times but sometimes up to 8. I am tired all the time and not really sure what is wrong. It could be depression, bad sinus problems, or worse. My body always aches, my neck hurts, and my memory is pretty bad.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How old are you?

Do you wake up at night due to pain? frequent night time urination? crampy or tingling sensations in the legs? difficulty of breathing as in catching your breath?

Do you snore?

Have you been diagnosed with diabetes or kidney problems?

Do keep us posted for your answers.
I have been told I snore and make strange sounds when I sleep. I don't have diabetes as far as I know and I had a kidney stone when i was 2.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Do you wake up to catch your breath at night?

I suggest you seek consult with you primary physician for a complete physical examination and diagnostic tests. Diabetes, certain medications,sleep apnea,depression and anxiety disorders may disrupt sleep patterns. The results of your diagnostic exams will influence the next step on managing your condition.

Are there any problems at work or at home?
Have you been working a lot lately?
Any drastic change in schedule?

Do keep us posted regarding your physician's advice.
I went from a evening shift job at a restaurant to a day shift job in a hospital. It has been a month though and I am still having some problems. I am 25 so I am surprised to be having these problems.
26/F, i just had a sleep study done, and in 6 hours, i woke up 98 times, and had 1 apnea.  all the neurologist had to say was, "it's not anything you're going to die from".  however, i sleep 15-24 hours straight, and it's ruining my life.  i can't even wake up to go out with my family or plan things, because i never know if i'll be able to wake up or not.  it's been like this the past 3 months.  i rarely see the daylight.  i hope things work out for you.

-Becky
I sleep only about 3-4 hours per night and in that time I wake up about 8/10 times - sometimes more.  I have sinus problems and a deviated septum and I seem to stop breathing repeatedly.  I went for a sleep study but could not sleep at all - they did not give me another appointment so although I have strong markers for sleep apnoea (the strange snoring and choking noises I make are another indication) it has not been diagnosed.

I am constantly fatigued and fall asleep at all the wrong times.  For this reason I do not drive and never take baths any more - only showers - because several times  I slipped under the water, totally unconscious, and was almost drowned!

One thing that has helped me a little is a light dose (10 mg) of Amitriptyline, which at higher doses is an antidepressant, but at that dose it gently relaxes your muscles and seems to lessen the snoring  and the sudden starts, thereby reducing the number of times you will wake up.

You do sound like you have either apnoea or maybe sinus trouble - you should write it all down and present it to your doctor.

You sound like you have apnoea.  You
are you a light sleeper?

i mention this because i cannot remain asleep if there are any outside stimuli. (noise/ vibration/ smell)

consequently i am always the last to go to bed and i sleep on my own with ear plugs (which i hate and pull out in my sleep) the room must be a fairly constant temperature. though i must also have fresh air. (no draughts)

on a bad night i wake a dozen times or more but lately with practise i have only woken a couple of times.

it seems every time iimprove the quality of my sleep through some change or other the improvement is short lived and i have to come up with another solution.

i have apnea.

MCW
No I am a pretty heavy sleeper I just can't stay asleep or get real rest for some reason.
Hi, sometimes when you had a very hard day at your job or mentally stressed out, you can be sick and not able to have sound sleep. Do you have any respiratory or cardiac symptoms as well. Relax, go for regular brisk walks, do stretches, have nutritious diet and a hot bath at bed time. Mild anxiolytics can be helpful. Take care.
Well I agree totally with the exercise which I hardly get any of now a days. I have mild asthma but it only really bothers me when I am sick or when I am around something that sets off my allergies. I am always stressed especially at my job and lately I have been unable to relax.
Hi, thanks for reply, well do take things little easy, stress and strain to body and mind can trouble functioning of body in many ways, Keep things worrying you of office kind  at office only and relax with family once home. Short outings on weekend or family get-together can make you more active. Do morning evening walk, stretches, have nutritious diet with lot of water or other liquids, have hot shower and listen to soft music before going to bed, these can be soothing to mind and body so it may be of some help. Few sessions of massage therapy can be beneficial. Mild dose of alprax also can be tried. Keep updating of any visit to neurophysician or sleep specialist. Take care.
I would definately get a sleep study done. Waking up snoring or making noises to the such can mean a breathing disorder disrupting your sleep. Also your work shift switch could have thrown off your circadian rythym. When our bodies do not spend time in the proper sleep stages it can wreak havoc on us physically and mentally.

Stress can certainly increase a sleeping issue and sometimes the sleeping issue can cause us to feel stressed.

Try to excercise at least 15 minutes a day not close to bed time though and watch caffeine intake near bedtime too.  Make a sleep log of what time you go to bed, wake up and how many times you wake during the nite, and seek out a sleep specialist, who can help you pinpoint what is causing you to wake up so many times.

Best Wishes~
Hi, how are you feeling, not heard of your futher visit. Hope so you are able to sleep for a while. Did you have a sleep study done and evaluation. bye.
For a few years I was only getting 2 to 3 hours of sleep at a time.  I could fall asleep but would wake up several times a night.  I would go to the bathroom and then be able to go back to sleep.  Since I work at home, I was able to get 8 hours.
While away on vacation I found that I was sleeping longer stretches and felt no need to use the bathroom when I did wake up in the middle of the night.  I figured part of the problem was stress.
I have an eye mask that I would put on before the sun came up (4am) and I would sleep the longest and hardest with the mask on.  I started putting it on at bedtime and I noticed I was getting at least 4 hour stretches of sleep.  I think my issue was stress and putting on the mask is 'psychologically' my protection.  It has been a few months and I get at least one 4 hour stretch and sometimes it is as long as 6 hours.
I really hope this helps someone!  
iv been havin this problem now for about two years i dont go to bed before midnight ever, i fall asleep within the hour usualy but then two hours later i am awake again,it then takes me around 10 to 15 mins to fall off again.then i wake another 2 hours later all through the night until i get up,but then all through the day all i want to do is go to sleep i even fall asleep on buses its very disturbing and dangerous as i work in the roofing industry.any ideas people.
Hi all,
Waking up several times a night is a symptom of depression, *even* if you do not "feel" depressed and have no other signs or symptoms of the condition. If typical sleep remedies/enhancers such as benadryl, melatonin, valerian, magnesium, etc. fail, and you do not have sleep apnea, you need to know this. Depression does not have to be spurred by an external event -- it can come on from within (endogenous depression), for reasons that are not known. Taking an SSRI can alleviate your sleep problem. Please see a psychiatrist that specializes in depression/anxiety. Wishing you the best of luck!
Haven't been able to sleep for a year now, except one night after absolutely no activity whatsoever was able to get 7 hours sleep. Sleep study done in the hospital showed my brain wakes me up as soon as I go to sleep but that's all that was be diagnosed. Had to stop driving because I passed out a lot. There are no doctors within 200 miles little treat my condition with my insurance. I've tried ambien, lunesta, soma, and somnote 500mg x 2. We're dying I can't make it to the grocery store leaving prepare a meal cast desperate please help.
Hi. Im suffering from sleep problems recently Im curious about what did happen with you since you wrote this comment. are you recovered? regards.
I am 18, I feel as if I am going slightly mad. I wake up 10 times a night in average, when I wake up i feel as if I am in  dream like state 24/7 I think about anything and everything way to deep thing HAVNT always been like this only in the past 5 months or so. I had a depression test and it came back negative.. Am I going insane?!