Sleep Disorders Community
hypnagogic myoclonus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

hypnagogic myoclonus

I have painful twitches every 5 minutes as I try to fall asleep.  This started after seeing a neurologist and having a lumber puncture where I developed the infamous spinal headache.  I received a blood patch which initially was sucessful but failed within 12 hrs.  Prior to knowing that it failed I literally went from that surgeons table (blood patch) to the table of the technician doing EEG, EMG, NCS studies.  I tried to reschedule but he didn't want me to. Since then I have sleep problems.   It has been going on for two weeks now.  The only way I can sleep and not notice (or have) twitching is by use of sleeping meds.   It feels like I'm still being zapped everytime I fall asleep. Is this normal?
Was there any significant findings in EEG, EMG, NCS studies? The twitches that you are experiencing are known as hypnic jerks, which occur due to lack of sleep and being awake for more than 24 hrs.
Why had you gone to the neurologist and why was the lumbar puncture done? What do the results say? I would suggest you get back to the neurologist and discuss your symptoms with him. If required a sleep study can also be done. Have the headaches gone now or are they still there? Try some breathing exercises and yoga to calm you down. Also avoid alcohol and smoking. Maintain a healthy diet plan and adequate hydration. Do get a copy of the reports for the tests you have got done. Has the neurologist prescribed any medication? Goodluck.
In response to your 12/10 questions: 1) I initially went to neuro Doc for generalized muscle weakness of joints.  Initially (1st visit) was told that I either had a brain tumor or MS.  He then said I had postive jaw jerk and weakness on left side by doing Babinski tests.  (Could fear of hearing diagnosis affect jaw jerk)?   2) Results of MRI of brain was the done- and was fine.  After lumbar pucture was done- developed  spinal headache.  Was treated with 15 ml blood patch (I think).  Then immediately had EEG, nerve conduction (and a bunch of alphabet soup studies).  The scheduling of the blood patch and nerve studies were literally back to back.  The technician insinuated that I could die if I didn't have them done immediately despite my wanting to reschedule-so I went forward with it.  I then developed a Spinal headache (major stiff neck) several hours after the tests.  I could only find relief by laying flat.  When I called the neuro Doc he was more concerned with telling me that he didn't do anything wrong even though I never brought anything up other than the fact that I couldn't stand upright.   He than called in a Rx for something that the pharmacy didn't even have.    If it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't have known that the spinal headache most likely would go away in 7 days.  But before I found that out I was in a complete panic laying flat on my back staring at the ceiling for many days and didn't have the results of any tests.  Also, I had a sleep study done on day 8 after lumber puncture and was on temazapam at that point which without it I cannot sleep since going though all of this.  Various muscles now jerk and do so every 5 minutes.  If I push through them I wake up with nightmares.   What do I do?  I finally got the results of most of the tests and have no major illness.    When I called the neurologist back regarding the jerking I feel at night and not being able to sleep-his secretary called my doctor and said "he'll never get to it" .   I've been on temazapam for sleep for about a month now.  Doc says I now have PTSD since all of this and the cause of the generalized muscle weakness was due to allergy to Diovan.  What a road to go down to find that out.
I can understand what you must have gone through. But relax the worst is over. Now is your blood pressure in the normal range with Diovan? You still need to consult a physician and ask him to change the medication. Also you need to relax and try to sleep well. Try a warm shower, reading a book or listening to soft music before you sleep. Also try some breathing exercises and yoga. All the best.