Sleep Disorders Community
i keep waking up a lot during sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

i keep waking up a lot during sleep

i usually go to sleep early in the morning, around 6-7 am...i am up all night.usually an hour before i go to sleep..i'll either play a game on my computer or watch a movie...then if i go to bed at 6:00 am...i am asleep by 6:30....i usually sleep well till about 10:30- 11:00 am..after that i wake up several times...everytime its a dream that wakes me up...the subject of my dream is always the game i played or the show i watched...in some cases i am the subject in such a setting...after i wake up..i am almost unable to sleep for a half hour...(i keep my cell phone nearby so i can check the time)..this happens 3-4 times & finally at about 3:30- 4:00 pm i wake up & leave the bed...but i am usually tired with a mild headache...i take a shower & eat something & then only i feel ok...sometimes i also have a bodyache when i wake up.....this problem occurs almost 2-3 times a week...leaving me all weak & tired...i am thinking of sleeping during the night when its all dark as i suspect the bright light during the day is interfering with my sleep?please suggest what i should do? thank you..
ok i forgot to add..when i wake up from my dream my mind is filled with a scene from either the game or the movie...its like i am half asleep ,half awake...then i fall asleep 7 after about an hour the same thing happens again..
Hi Himadri_sm

I suggest you try to fix your sleeping pattern up.  Our body is designed to sleep when it's dark, sleeping whilst it's light extremely effects the chemicals such as melatonin that help you to get a good's nights rest.  Your body runs on a cycle called circadian rhythm, this circadian rhythm refers to our internal, approximately 24-hour cycle of biochemical, physiological, and behavioral processes.  If this cycle is out of whack, as your is.  It will be difficult to get and maintain a deep sleep.

Now I don't suggest you suddenly go to sleep at 10pm tonight, but what you should do is begin a process of changing your sleep pattern.  So instead of 6am, go to sleep at 5am.  Then set your alarm to go off at 3pm, this will give you 9 hours of rest.  Even if it is disturbed, get up at 3pm.  The next day change it to 4:30am and wake up at 2:30pm.  Keep doing this (30mins earlier a day) each day and hopefully you will gradually be able to fix up your circadian rhythm and start to feel refreshed of a day again.