Sleep Disorders Community
infant sleep disorder
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

infant sleep disorder

I have a 61/2 mo. old grandson who, for the past three weeks, has not had a normal night of sleep.  He has no trouble falling asleep, but afterward has very frequent periods of jerking or thrashing, not usually completely waking, but requiring attention in order not to fully waken.  It may be a sudden jerking or kicking of his legs, turning his head several times, slinging his arms, or a combination of the above.  He exhibits this activity whether being held or lying in his bed.  I have spent the past two nights helping out with him to give his parents a break, and I know firsthand how constant this behavior is throughout the night.  I would estimate that these movements occur every 2-3 minutes.  I held him from 2:30 - 5:30 am this morning, and I was amazed at how often his sleep is disturbed.  Finally, at around 5:30, he calmed down enough for me to lay him down beside me, and he slept less fitfully and more soundly until around 8:00 am.
When he naps during the daytime hours, he sleeps with less activity and a bit more soundly, sleeping anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
The parents have discussed this with the pediatrician who doesn't seemed too concerned with the behavior and suggests that it could be teething issues.  They do plan to contact him again tomorrow for more advice because they are quite concerned and exhausted.  

Any suggestions other than the call to the pediatrician?

Thank you!!

Concerned Grandmothe
I don't have any suggestions but I have a 6 1/2 month old doing the exact same thing and would love to know if you guys found a cause for it or if he just grew out of it
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sleep Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...