Sleep Disorders Community
jerks keeping me awake.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

jerks keeping me awake.

hi i'm a 21 year old female living in singapore which pace of life is rather fast. i've been having these jerks that ranges from small twitches to big jerks that can occur anywhere in my body from my finger to my legs. this happened on a night 6 months ago after i drank alot of alcohol and was trying to repay my sleep debt the day after. since then, these twitches have been keeping me awake. i went to see a doctor and she said that it's most likely anxiety due, something i probably inherited from my mother. my doc told me to have a 6 week detox from alcohol and cigarettes and it did got better but i developed sleep anxiety as well and i noticed that on certain nights which i am stressed i tend to get the jerks more. i've been going on and off alcohol and cigarettes for the last couple of months but have stopped all that completely a week back when the jerks return and sometimes now i get this strange popping sound in my ears just when i'm about to fall asleep or sometimes  a surge of panic. i'm currently on my anti-anxiety meds called tranxene and also on magnesium supplements( i also read somewhere around this forum that GNC women's mega vitamins help). in my opinion, i think my sleep problems are caused by stress and anxiety even though i honestly do not feel scared when i get jolted awake,but my mind already goes into 'what if i can't fall asleep' mode. do you guys think its anxiety/stress related and can be treated with vitamins, relaxation and a change in lifestyle? or a neurological problem?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Your symptoms of moving your legs in sleep could be due to a sleep disorder called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD). They disrupt sleep and cause involuntary movements during sleep. The cause is not known. They can be diagnosed with a sleep study and medications help to control them.

I would advise you to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician who may then refer you to a sleep specialist for further evaluation. Warm regards.
hi,
i only twitch when i'm just about to fall asleep, when i'm asleep i do not move much according to my boyfriend. last night i took my magnesium supplement and my anti-anxiety pill. i also drank a bottle of sports drink as i heard it helps to regain minerals and salts in the body which cause our muscles to twitch when we lack those. i still had slight twitches but not jerks anymore. am i heading down the right path?
These twithces occure as you are falling asleep while your body is going into sleep mode.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The twitching due to Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) can happen as you are going to sleep or as you sleep which you may not be aware of.  Another cause could be an entity called restless leg syndrome, where there is an odd sensation in the legs during sleep causing the individual to move, which relieves the sensation. These disorders can cause inadequate sleep leading to fatigue and daytime sleepiness. Other causes for leg cramps are injury, repetitive activity and dehydration. So, if your symptoms persist, I would advise you to consult your primary care physician for further evaluation. He may then ask for a sleep study called polysomnography for further evaluation.

Hope this helped and Do keep us posted.
these twitches/jerks do not occur every night. i notice it's usually when i'm hung over, anxious or really tired. as long as i crave sleep too much it would happen..which makes me link anxiety with my condition. i honestly do not think i have periodic limb movement disorder because my partner says i do not move much in my sleep. i have decided to stop drinking and smoking once and for all just for the sake of getting better.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Agree with you lack of sleep and anxiety can promote twitching. Follow good sleep hygiene measures like going to bed at the same time, waking up at the same time, avoidance of alcohol, smoking and caffeinated beverages. Maintain warm, comfortable bedroom environment and engage in relaxing activities like a warm bath before bed time. This will promote sleep.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.