Aa
A
A
Close
just had surgery and now can't sleep due to cough
Hi I am 2 weeks post op from shoulder surgery ever since the surgery if I attempt to lie down I start coughing terribly,it is a dry unproductive cough.They did have a breathing tube in for the surgery and for a couple days after I was coughing up alot of stuff and had a terrible soar throat( I attribute to the breathing tube) and also my chest,ribs, were very soar.I felt like they had beat me with a bat while I was under,the doctor didn't say anything about any type of complications during surgery.I have been on Vicodin and the other night I kept waking up with the fealing that I could not breathe. My question is :is this normal after having surgery,to be having breathing issues but only at night,when laying flat on my back?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
612551 tn?1450025775
While my experience with a breathing tub during surgery while unpleasant is nothing like you are experiencing.  I recall the withdrawal was slow and distressing, maybe a little painful, but made worse by the fact I was still in a haze.  I had undergone open heart surgery, so I was out for a long time, several hours, still I'd characterize the effects of the breathing tub were minimal - no more than a slight shore/irritated throat.  Best I can recall there was no coughing and no pain by the second day.  

I am surprised a breathing tub was necessary - but I'm not in any position to question it, just surprised.  I think you should complain to your surgeon that you are having problems from the surgery - even if it is the responsibility of an anesthesiologist.
Comment
Cancel
612551 tn?1450025775
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sleep Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank