just had surgery and now can't sleep due to cough
Hi I am 2 weeks post op from shoulder surgery ever since the surgery if I attempt to lie down I start coughing terribly,it is a dry unproductive cough.They did have a breathing tube in for the surgery and for a couple days after I was coughing up alot of stuff and had a terrible soar throat( I attribute to the breathing tube) and also my chest,ribs, were very soar.I felt like they had beat me with a bat while I was under,the doctor didn't say anything about any type of complications during surgery.I have been on Vicodin and the other night I kept waking up with the fealing that I could not breathe. My question is :is this normal after having surgery,to be having breathing issues but only at night,when laying flat on my back?
While my experience with a breathing tub during surgery while unpleasant is nothing like you are experiencing.  I recall the withdrawal was slow and distressing, maybe a little painful, but made worse by the fact I was still in a haze.  I had undergone open heart surgery, so I was out for a long time, several hours, still I'd characterize the effects of the breathing tub were minimal - no more than a slight shore/irritated throat.  Best I can recall there was no coughing and no pain by the second day.  

I am surprised a breathing tub was necessary - but I'm not in any position to question it, just surprised.  I think you should complain to your surgeon that you are having problems from the surgery - even if it is the responsibility of an anesthesiologist.