Sleep Disorders Community
leg stinging and burning when I sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

leg stinging and burning when I sleep

About two months ago I started to feel a numbing stinging pain in my leg when I slept. I would have to roll on my side but after a while now whatever I do it stings and burns all night. Mainly in the muscle above my knee. I temporally stopped my exercises but it did not help. Now its stronger than ever keeping me up at night and having back aches now as well.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are your feeling?

Which leg is involved? Both or just one leg?
You have mentioned of doing an exercise? What type of exercise have you been engaged in recently?

A numbing, stinging and burning pain may be nerve related. Affecting only one leg may help us consider an injury that could have irritated or impinged a nerve. Certain exercises or trauma to the leg may cause the same condition.Do you notice any redness or swelling over the area?

Some other causes may be due to metabolic disorders ( diabetes) and nutritional deficits ( Vit B12 deficiency or Vit B6 excess). hormonal disorders lke hypothyroidism , and infections.

More serious conditions like an underlying tumor, Gullain-barre syndrome  and amyloidosis may also present with a neuropathy ( nerve related disorder).However, this doen't seem to be your case.

Restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder may also present with some burning and tingling sensation.Symptoms of RLS may be relieved when the legs are moved or when the person walks around.

Seek a consult with your neurologist for a complete neurological examination.An EMG may be requested.

Keep us posted regarding your doctor's advice.
Its just my right leg and it starts up when I lay down. Previously I worked out on the treadmill about an hour for 3 - 4 times a week. However when the stinging started to get stronger I stopped the exercise.

My diet is does consist of a lot of fruit and veggies. Lean proteins and fat free milk.

I have been trying to wait it out but it seems to be getting worse and the lack of sleep is making me ache throughout the day. I did not know if there was a few things I could try to rid it seeing I am from the U.S. with no health insurance and going to a physician is not an option.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

A physiotherapist may be able to help you.

Do you have one in the area? Since I'm from the other side of the globe, maybe you can inquire in your area if  a certified physiotherapist be able to help you.

However, I do suggest that a visit to a physician for assessment will be best before any interventions be done to your extremity.

I hope I can help more.