Sleep Disorders Community
lucid nightmares

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

lucid nightmares

I quite often fall into these nightmares where i am fully aware of being in my bedroom, in my bed but all of a sudden it's like a force is pulling my covers from me and pulling me from my bed and pulls me all over the walls and ceiling. I am aware that i am dreaming but i cant seem to wake myself up and sometimes if i do manage to wake, i fall straight back into the nightmare. These dreams or whatever they are are not something that's forgotten the next morning, making it quite frightning to fall asleep.
Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced similar things or if im just going a bit mad.
I can answer your questions because i have the exact same symptoms and have been having them for years. I have sleep apnea and narcolepsy, and the hallucinations are caused by sleep deprivation. I hate the fact that i can't seem to get out of these dreams but i have recently found the solution. Get out of bed and do something for 5 or 10 minutes....i usually will come downstairs and check my email or just surf for a few minutes. When i go back to bed i am able to fall asleep without the demons attacking me. If you would like to discuss this further add me on facebook.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms of seeing things could be due to  sleep disorders “Nightmare” or "Night terror" disorders . Here the person experiences symptoms of bad, frightening dreams which interfere with his sleep schedules. Disorders related to dreaming could occur with REM sleep behavior disorders. Here the person acts out the dreams. This can be assessed by a sleep questionnaire and therapy is based on the severity of symptoms. If your symptoms persist, I would advise you to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician who may then refer you to a sleep specialist for further evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.