Sleep Disorders Community
my 12 yr old jerk few time as soon as he fall asleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hello everyone,I would like to know ,is it normal for my 12 yrs old son jerk few time as soon as he sleeps.It happens almost everyday .He is healthy and sporty boy and never gets tired of playing soccer and basketball. He never had any problem.I just wanted to know is it normal  or should I go and see the the pediatrician.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Some people move around a lot in sleep and some others tend to snooze quietly.  As your son is healthy and does not have any issues with sleep, it’s unlikely he has any sleep disorders.  There is an entity called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD), where a person moves his limbs in sleep. They disrupt sleep and cause involuntary movements during sleep. The cause is not known. They can be diagnosed with a sleep study and medications help to control them. Just cautioning you,  if he is unable to sleep well, then you could consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks Dr Anitha, just wanted to tell you that his whole body gets a jerk not any perticular limb and it happens within five minutes of his sleep.Rest of the night he sleeps well without any jerks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Ok, as people sleep initially there could be some jerking. In the initial phases of the sleep cycle and while awakening, we tend to be more conscious or alert. If we study the brain waves at these phases they tend to show the alert wave pattern, this could cause the awareness. And if you notice, we sometimes ‘feel’ the slipping in and out of sleep, like falling from cliff or off the bed. So, the jerking could be normal,  if it is not interfering with his sleep schedules you don't have to worry.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks Doctor,I appreciate your help.