my almost 9 year old with "can't sleep"anxiety
My daughter has been having major sleep issues for a few months.  She inevitably falls asleep by 10:30 or earlier at times.  However, she panics about not being able to fall asleep. She cries and says "help me fall asleep please!".  I have asked her what is bothering her and she says it is nothing but the fear of not sleeping, falling asleep at school and not doing well in school.  She has never fallen asleep at school, gets great grades with not much effort (she is even in an advanced class).  I am a single mom and my son and I are having a difficult time with this as well.  She speaks with her dad on the phone at night while she tries to fall asleep to calm her.  This can't go on forever.  We are seeing a therapist today, but I am afraid my frustration makes it worse for her.  I have tried giving her meditation music, warm milk, banana's and love.  WHAT CAN WE DO????
Hi, Relax! How is your daughter keeping? She might be going through a hard time due to probably being away from her dad, she is too young to know about family issues. She needs lot of comfort, love and care from you and your son at this point of time. Don’t be harsh to her; it is quite a common reaction. As she is good at studies, do encourage her to go ahead with studies; a family outing or a short vacation sort of thing can be pleasing to her. Continue taking care of her personal needs and ask her to sleep along with you for sometime as she may have fear to sleep alone. Exercise, warm bath and hearing soft music before sleep can be soothing to mind and certainly helpful. It may take some more time for her to get adjusted. Please be kind to her and always encouraging, as children’s prefer to go about themselves. Take care.
Hi, how is your daughter keeping now? Well it is little early to see any changes in her sleep pattern as she might be passing through a hard time adjusting herself to the changes in family. Does she still have problems in going to sleep?  Try to be as caring and friendly as possible till she is aware of following her own sleep habits. An early meal and gentle massage can be helpful. Try to keep a calm atmosphere and soft music of her choice might make her sleepy. Both of you be with her. Please post your thoughts. Take care.