Sleep Disorders Community
obstuctive or central

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

obstuctive or central

what is the diffrence between the two and how is central diagnoised? still having problems staying awake durring the day thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

When a person sleeps the airways are usually patent allowing normal passage for air entry. The upper airway that is at the region of the tongue and the soft palate is the most compliant (soft) part. So, this is liable to collapse and cause airway obstruction resulting in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea is by CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) where air under gentle pressure is passed into the airways keeping it patent.

Central sleep apneas are caused due disorders or lesions in the brain. The peripheral system does not get the right impulses for respiration and hence the stoppage of respiration. As a result the person is aroused from sleep. Therapy is by treating the underlying cause and with SV BiPAP, as it is pressure support ventilation.

Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have severe atrhritis and ddj in my neck with narowing of c-3 disc and nerve root impingement at c-3 can this be affecting my sleep apnea? thank you for your responce
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Like I mentioned that compression on nerves can cause pain, but it is unlikely to cause apneas. C3 nerve root compression can cause Occipital headache (back of head), retro-orbital (behind eyes) or retroauricular (behind ears) pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
thank you for your reply and answers it helps alot knowing how these things work