Sleep Disorders Community
paralyzed sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

paralyzed sleep

i have these experiences now once or twice a week, its been happening since 2003, im 28 now, where i will be asleep, then all of a sudden i wake up scared my whole body is paralyzed and i feel a presence in my room an evil presence sometimes it sounds like its walking closer to my bed and i get so scared but cant make a sound or move at all and i start breathing so fast and heavy cuz im soo scared. when it first started happening i would hear banging, or screaming, or screeches so loud in my ear it hurt, its the most frightening thing to go thru. its been 8 years and it happens all the time so im so used to it now, that as soon as i feel the heaviness start i jump up and walk around and wait til i cannot keep my eyes open til i go back to bed. i just want to know what is this that is happening to me? i have not heard of anyone else this has happened to and i dont know if its a medical condition or a spiritual thing that is happening. can somebody please help?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and understand your predicament.

What you are experiencing could be hallucinations and delusions and they can occur with certain medications, stress, sleep deprivation, in certain brain disorders and with schizophrenia or bipolar disorders. The symptoms you are experiencing could also be due to an entity called sleep paralysis. When this happens in sleep the person has difficulty moving his hands or feet. This is the symptom of a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper assessment.  

Take Care and Hope this helps!