Sleep Disorders Community
possible sleep disorder in a 2 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

My daughter is 23 months old.  For atleast the last 9 months, she doesn't sleep at night.  I don't mean she doesn't want to sleep or is up and down, I mean she absolutely doesn't sleep.  She has a nap around mid day that lasts about an hour to an hour and a half.  We have a bedtime routine.  She is asleep by 930 pm.  But she wakes up by 11 and stays up the rest of the night.  So, my 23 month old daughter is running for 24 hours on 3 hours of sleep.  I have spoken with her pediatrician on multiple occassions and to different pediatricians and they all say that this is a behavior.  She doesn't scream and cry she just lays there, whether she's in her bed, our bed, or my arms, and looks around and doesn't go to sleep.  She is advanced as far as language and learning goes.  My husband and I are desperate at this point.  PLEASE HELP!
Tags: sleep, 2 year old sleep, sleepless 2 year old
If the pediatricians are all saying the same thing, I would do some research and find a well known specialist near you such as a School of Medicine; John's Hopkins, UCLA, etc. Sleep disorders in children this young are rare, so not all pediatricians may know about it. You might, for records, video tape some of her behavior while she is awake at night such as while she is lying there looking around. Keep in mind that it's possible this could also be an early indication of another condition well, which hopefully the specialists will be aware of.

Sara RN
I am a teacher that works with 2 year olds.  
What some of the children's parents have suggested to me to only nap their children for only 1 hour.  Some parent even tell me that their children don't need a nap because the child won't sleep.  Try to give your child more activity with running and riding a bike a bit more and see if that helps.  And I know you have a routine, but maybe try having your child go to bed a little bit later and see if that works.  And thanks, this gives me something to look into for the future.
Good luck!
Hi, welcome to the forum, your child is not getting enough sleep. To change her habit, be sure you wake your baby every three or four hours to eat during the day and add proper stimulation. You make her awake in day time by playing, light around her, feeding etc. When baby get tired in day time sleep well in night time.

Also you must make her feed well before sleep, comfortable bed, proper covering them and then will sleep well without disturbance. Avoid any sound in her room, and make her play in afternoon.
Hope you are satisfied. I suggest you to consult pediatrician. Take care and regards.