scary awakening
About 6 times in the past 2/3 months my 3 year old son has woken up screaming, reaching out in front of him as to push something away, if i can get him to close his eyes to carm down he eventually does but each time he opens his eyes again, he screams out " go away i don't want it anymore" as he looks to be blocking something from him with his arms out straight. For the 1st time last night i was able to understand what he was screaming out, when i asked him what it was he just told me "its white", i asked "whats white" but his not sure what it is! At 1st i thought he woke up from a nightmare but its only when his eyes are open that he shakes, screams and holds his breath from fear of seeing something white! Its horrible to see my boy so scared and not seeing what he does. Is it nightmares? Is it his eyes?
It sounds to me that your son might be having a recurring nightmare.  I use to have them when I was little.  I remember this one nightmare I had over and over again for a few years.  And then the nightmare just stopped.  It was very strange.
Hi, how is your son doing? It is quite common for every parent to worry if their little one's do not get proper sleep especially at night time and so you are also worrying. He might be having sleep terrors which is common around his age which can be caused by bad sleeping habits, going to sleep very late at night, not having day time nap and so. He may not hurt himself unless he has fall from cot or can bang into something while trying to reach out to you. Usually they do go off as he grows and follow a healthy sleep pattern and in a comforting room. Do make him sleep with you for some time till he can comfortably sleep alone. Keep bed lamp always on. A warm bath, soft music and gentle body massage can put him to sleep without much disturbance. Consult your doctor if it becomes more serious. Take care and post your thoughts.
I'm so sorry, I know how scary it is when something is going on with your child and you feel helpless. It sounds like your son may have sleep terrors go to this website and read the info if it describes whats going on with your son call your pediatrician. Hope this helps.
http://kwikken.com/sleep-terror-disorder/124/
Kam
Hi nicelle83, how is your son keeping now? Thanks Kam777 for your valuable suggestions as it might be significant positive hope for others. Your son needs quite good sleep not only at night but also in daytime. Is he put to a baby care center in day? Does he even now scream in sleep? Try to know what make him more comfortable in bed; give him early meal and a warm bath before putting him to sleep. It is better if you can make him sleep with you, as he might feel safer near you. Take care and post about the doctor's advises.