screaming in sleep
As an adult (female) I am experiencing night screams.  They always occur if I fall asleep in a place other than my bed.  For example hotels, naps in the car or on the couch etc.  This week we are leaving on a road trip (13 hours) and I woke up screaming 3 times two nights ago and 1 time last night.  I have a blood curdling scream that wakes me up and then I fall back to sleep sometimes I get out of bed and walk around a bit to fully wake myself up before I fall back to sleep.  
As a child I was ALWAYS homesick if I did not sleep in my own bed.  I was 18 before I began staying at other places but usually it took me forever to fall asleep.  My older siblings recall many episodes of  me sleep walking.   I am gathering they are stress related but, wondered if there were any steps I could take to minimize them.   I am now 51 one years old
Night terrors and sleepwalking are sleep disorders. A family member used to do the same. Back then there was no talk of treatment. It might be good for you to talk with a sleep specialist, maybe even a sleep neurologist, to see if there's a treatment you could utilize when you knew you were extra tired or going to be away from home.

Night terrors are characterized by frequent recurrent episodes of intense crying and fear during sleep, with difficulty arousing. It typically occurs in children aged 3-12 years and rarely in adults. Night terrors may be caused by the following: stressful life events, fever, sleep deprivation or even medications. Usually, a complete history and a physical examination are sufficient to diagnose night terrors. However, if other disorders are suspected, additional tests such as EEG and polysomnography are needed. If this persists, it would be best to see your doctor for proper evaluation and management. You can read more about this through this link: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/night_terrors/article_em.htm#Night%20Terrors%20Overview

Take care and keep us posted.

ok i need advice every night i fall asleep on my couch before i even know im asleep then i sleep about an hour or two no screaming but when i go to bed almost every night i scream out my husband says sometimes i wake my self up other night i dont just him and other people in the housein different rooms they hear me im always tired but if i go to sleep i scream mommie or help or no so loud i just cant do this anymore i fell like im losing controll i need some advice on what to do please can you help me one of the other problems are my legs and back hurt so bad if i lay to long maybe thats the problem but please im at my wits end i dont want to live anymore that how tired i am ive discussed this my physician and they say a sleep study is what i need to do well it makes me nervous because i have insomina too and what happens if the night i do the study nothing happens no screams no sleep nothing i feel would be a waste of money so please HELP ME IF YOU CAN
Let them worry about getting the result. You worry about just getting the test. You have this. Make sure they book it in the lab!