Sleep Disorders Community
seeing things that aren't there

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

seeing things that aren't there

every now and then, I find myself sitting up or standing up from sleep and seeing things that aren't there, i know im not completly asleep because i panic as i mostly see spiders or animals and end up throwing things. Last time it happened i thought there were a group of spiders on my pillow and spent about 10 mins pushing them away and fell back asleep. I know there wasn't any there and i always remember it in the morning, i can remember one time throwing my blanket across the room b/c i thought there was a gigantic spider (it's mostly to do with spiders) on my bed. I go back to bed worrying just incase the spiders or whatever crawl over me, i wake up the next morning so confused, the things i see are completly stupid like a 4 foot long spider on my floor but i get so scared because i think its real even though im asleep, happen to anyone else? its odd.....
Ok, please, for those of you seeing spider-like images fading away from your eyes as you woke up, help
me to diagnose the problem. The fact that everyone complains of seeing a spider-like image points to a common cause. What may differ is the magnitude. Answer the following questions. Do you smoke or are you a past smoker? Do you smoke pot or had once smoked pot? Have you ever had brain injury or been severely traumatized? Do you have nightmares? Do you usually have night visions and when you wake up in the morning it happens exactly as you saw in the night vision? Do you sometimes experience double vision...that is looking at an object and the object appears to be two? Do you sometimes see ''flies'' in front of your eyes? Do you sometimes see black dots or just a black dot in front of you as you move forward? Do your eyes sometimes feel sandy and dry or dehydrated? Do you snore? Do you have difficulties breathing when asleep? Do you sometimes have nose blockage? Do you sometimes feel a sensational movement in your body or head, urging you to scratch it up? Do you sometimes have lucid dreams? Do you often dream eating in your dreams? You may not necessarily have to have all of these symptoms to experience the phenomenon, so pick out the ones you have and add any other i might have left out, then email me at ***@****  if you like  Remember ti include your pulse.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms of seeing things could be due to  sleep disorders “Nightmare” or "Night terror" disorders . Here the person experiences symptoms of bad, frightening dreams which interfere with his sleep schedules. He may even act out these dreams. This is usually assessed by a set of questionnaires and the therapy is based on the severity of the disorder. I would advise you to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician who may then refer you to a sleep specialist for further evaluation.

Hope This Helped and Do Keep Us Posted.