Sleep Disorders Community
shallow breathing upon waking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

shallow breathing upon waking

I'm tired all the time - I know common complaint.  But, I get 8 to 9 hours a sleep, work 9-10 hours a day, 40 min exercise daily.  So, when I start to awake, even in the middle of the night, I notice I'm breathing fast and short, at this time I am feeling (hard to explain) a little delirious, I'm sort of dreaming and I don't or can't get awake.

So, I'm wondering if this is some sort of problem as to why I'm feeling so tired.  It's been going on for years.  I had just accepted it was the way I am, which is to say, I'm not interested in going to evening events or much of anything for that matter.  

Anyone heard of this or know anything about it?
Did you see a cardiologist and is your blood work alright?
Symptoms sound like "classic" obstructive sleep apnea.... oxygen starvation due to blockage of your breathing passage.    

An inexpensive test using a recording Oximeter overnight at home may confirm the possibility... or better show your oxygen levels are find.

Generally a full sleep study has to be done with a sleep over in a sleep center (likely your general hospital).  I know many people who have undergone that testing, myself included.  Some are treated with a breathing mask for sleeping, forget what all the letters stand for, you clan look up on the web, called a CPAP, I think...it's getting late an my mind is tired.

In my case I lost about 10% of my body weight and the symptoms are gone.  Others who use the CPAP say it provides them with a restful sleep and they feel much better during the day.
My blood tests are good except my cholesterol could be better and I'm not overweight.

One side of my nose shuts every night so maybe it is a blockage of my breathing passage.

I noticed this morning I was awake and decided to watch the news in bed, wide awake and suddenly I was so drowsy and breathing rapidly again.