Sleep Disorders Community
shallow breathing upon waking
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

shallow breathing upon waking

I'm tired all the time - I know common complaint.  But, I get 8 to 9 hours a sleep, work 9-10 hours a day, 40 min exercise daily.  So, when I start to awake, even in the middle of the night, I notice I'm breathing fast and short, at this time I am feeling (hard to explain) a little delirious, I'm sort of dreaming and I don't or can't get awake.

So, I'm wondering if this is some sort of problem as to why I'm feeling so tired.  It's been going on for years.  I had just accepted it was the way I am, which is to say, I'm not interested in going to evening events or much of anything for that matter.  

Anyone heard of this or know anything about it?
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
10617928_tn?1411478664
Did you see a cardiologist and is your blood work alright?
Blank
612551_tn?1247839157
Symptoms sound like "classic" obstructive sleep apnea.... oxygen starvation due to blockage of your breathing passage.    

An inexpensive test using a recording Oximeter overnight at home may confirm the possibility... or better show your oxygen levels are find.

Generally a full sleep study has to be done with a sleep over in a sleep center (likely your general hospital).  I know many people who have undergone that testing, myself included.  Some are treated with a breathing mask for sleeping, forget what all the letters stand for, you clan look up on the web, called a CPAP, I think...it's getting late an my mind is tired.

In my case I lost about 10% of my body weight and the symptoms are gone.  Others who use the CPAP say it provides them with a restful sleep and they feel much better during the day.
Blank
691935_tn?1282008141
My blood tests are good except my cholesterol could be better and I'm not overweight.

One side of my nose shuts every night so maybe it is a blockage of my breathing passage.

I noticed this morning I was awake and decided to watch the news in bed, wide awake and suddenly I was so drowsy and breathing rapidly again.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sleep Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank