Sleep Disorders Community
sleep apnea and shortness of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

sleep apnea and shortness of breath

Dear Doctor, Can you please give any information you can on
whether obstructive sleep apnea causes shortness of breath?  
Thank You
Welcome to the site and the community. Although I am not able to help you with your specific question, please give it time. There will be
someone who cares and someone who can give you great advice. If you do not get a reply within two days, please repost your question/concern.
I know personally that this is a great place and it's all about people helping people, but because of every day life, sometimes with so many posts,
it is possible you might need to repost. If this is something that needs attention now, you can call for an appointment with your doctor, if it is not
an emergency go to urgent care (to save money) but if it is an emergency, please go to the ER. If this is something you are having anxiety over,
I have some basic but strong tips/techniques to use until you get help, please just message me and I will send them to you. Thank you and I
hope you are helped soon.
If your shortness of breath is not while trying to sleep, you need to be evaluated by a doctor. If it is while trying to sleep, it still could be something other than the sleep apnea (which causes shortness of breath around each event), and better safe than sorry.
Forgot to add, there is a segment of sleep apnea sufferers whose airway structure is so narrow it is difficult to move enough air even when awake. That wouldn't be my go-to thought, but worth tucking in the back of the mind if other more likely causes prove not to be present.