sleep apnea
I had a TBI in '88. I had a day of seizures in '94. I've been on seizure meds for 18 yrs w/o any daytime activity. I have had several occasions where I bit my tongue or lip in my sleep, woke with a headache like I was hit with a bat at the base of my skull & didn't have a memory for 5-20 minutes. (My doctor sent me to a PT because of the a.m. headaches, same type as w/tongue bite, just not as severe. The PT said I had fluid buildup at the base of my skull.) Every tongue bite event, aprox. every 2mo. was when I was on vacation sleeping in, sleeping on my back w/dry air. They happen when I sleep an extra 2.5-4hrs and wake after 9a.m. I have a history of nasal polyps. A sleep study showed I stop breathing 31x during REM. I only slept 3.5hrs from 11-6:30a.m. w/1 REM cycle that night. The doctor said Sleep Apnea was not significant. I wake every 1 1/2 at night w/hot flashes or to urinate. Not good for REM. I have read the body needs REM and has a way of making up for it by having several cycles in a night. Is it possible that when I sleep longer & have repeated REM cycles, I am depriving my brain of enough oxogen to cause these nocturnal events? When I was on lamictal for 4 yrs, as well as off all meds for another year, I had no daytime seizures, but the tongue bite/headache/amnesia was the same...I have been wearing a hinged mouth guard that prevents my jaw from collapsing back & using nasal spray before bed for 6mo. and have not had any events. How do you tell if it's seizure related, or caused by sleep apnea? Does sleep apnea require seizure meds?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

During sleep, the body cycles between non-REM and REM sleep. Typically, people begin the sleep cycle with a period of non-REM sleep followed by a very short period of REM sleep. Dreams generally occur in the REM stage of sleep. This cycles happen naturally.

A lot of studies are going on to study the importance of REM sleep, which is the dream phase of sleep. Psychologists generally agree that achieving the dream state of sleep is a critical element for maintaining good mental health. Conversely, depriving ones self from dreaming can cause a number of adverse health problems, including fatigue, reduced immune system efficiency, heart disease and mental health issues including delusions and severe cognitive reasoning deficits.

Obstructive sleep apnea is a sleep disorder, wherein during sleep there is an obstruction to air flow due to laxity of the throat muscles during sleep and this could cause restlessness. Hence for therapy CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) is used to keep it patent.

Seizure activity can be detected in an EEG and also in sleep study.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.